Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Corvair Rampside Purchase and Undisclosed Rust
Posted by: mhughes30 ()
Date: August 02, 2022 06:14AM

Hi everyone, I just bought a 1961 Corvair Rampside through what I thought would be a trusted/reliable dealer/source. I was told by 2 people it had only minor rust bubbles and no rusted through areas. I paid a high price, appropriate for a daily driver with a solid body that functioned as it should, and only had cosmetic issues.

However, when I got the truck I discovered it is significantly rusted, and also has transmission/shifting/clutch issues (the shifter does not move through gears making as it should, it basically just moves up and back, and the truck is impossible to downshift into 2nd without grinding. It upshifts to 2nd fine, when 2nd can be found). The body is not maintainable in its rust-ridden state.

I am not sure what to do with the truck because of the rust. I am posting the rust pictures. It even had painted over metallic tape covering up rust. What do you guys think?

This is my 2nd Corvair. My other is a rust-free 1963 convertible, that I was told was rust free before I bought it.

I put all of the pictures in this google drive link:
[drive.google.com]

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair Rampside Purchase and Undisclosed Rust
Date: August 02, 2022 06:17AM

more pics

Attachments:

Date: August 02, 2022 06:20AM

more pics - all in google drive link: [drive.google.com]

Attachments:

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 02, 2022 06:22AM

Caveat Emptor...it's on you to find that.

Was it inspected at by a Corvair person?

Really hope the seller isn't somebody here.

Date: August 02, 2022 06:23AM

The rear tires also have significant camber making the p205/75/r14 tires be very close to the wheel wells. I believe this camber is not adjustable for the swing axle.

Most of the rust areas I showed I can push through with my finger. There is basically no underbody protection on it too.

Date: August 02, 2022 06:26AM

Most of the significant rust through is in the wheel well areas front and back and in the rear to where the wheel well attaches to rest of the body.

I posted a pictures of one of the floor boards. It has a pin hole or two through it, and it noticeably thin.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: August 02, 2022 06:38AM

What does 'no underbody protection on it' mean? No undercoating?
Its 1000% more solid than the Rampside I drive regularly.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 02, 2022 06:41AM

Camber is normal for unloaded truck. It is so a 1000 + pound load can be transported.

Can be fixed for unloaded by cutting coil.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Tramp61 ()
Date: August 02, 2022 06:45AM

Mhughes30: Did you inspect the vehicle yourself or have someone inspect it before purchase? Have you contacted the seller about these discoveries? Is it possible for seller to purchase back if you are not satisfied? Please provide more details so that people here can fully understand the situation. If you purchased it on blind trust, you may have learned an expensive lesson if no remedies are available.

Craig T
Central NY
1961 Tramp (truck with a ramp)

Date: August 02, 2022 06:46AM

Anyone familiar with Corvair FCs should have found that rust. Typical rusty spots here on the east coast.

What to do now? Drive it. 20 foot pictures look good.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: August 02, 2022 06:46AM

I'm only trying to get advice on what to do to repair or sell the truck. I have not intention of saying who sold it and no anger towards them.

Yes, it is my fault for asking questions and accepting answers without flying out to see it in person. I do not disagree.

Actually I will try and delete the post. Does anyone know how?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2022 06:50AM by mhughes30.

Posted by: Tramp61 ()
Date: August 02, 2022 06:54AM

Mhughes30: You are in for some significant but not impossible rust repair. How much depends on your funds and ability to do the work yourself. Lots of moral support here, but the hard work is going to be yours. I hope you find a way to preserve it without breaking the bank so that you can enjoy driving it. Refurbishing the shift linkage is a must on these in order to be able to shift. You are likely going to find many other things as you go. Don’t get discouraged if you intend to keep it. For many of us, working on these is the most enjoyable part of ownership. If that’s not you, consider all your options. Best of luck to you.

Craig T
Central NY
1961 Tramp (truck with a ramp)

Date: August 02, 2022 07:16AM

No need to delete post. Good example for others looking to buy a vehicle. The more pictures of what to look for the better.

Also good example of what east and west coast people see rust differently.

I would drive it. Go to Cars and Coffee events, local shows. People like to see these even if not show condition.

When you find a better one. Sell this one.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2022 07:19AM by Frank DuVal.

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: August 02, 2022 07:58AM

Yes, that's a disappointing, but not uncommon, amount of rust. It is a shame that the seller was not more forthcoming, and it is a shame that you were not able to inspect it more thoroughly before purchase.

Some respondents here have said, in effect, drive it and enjoy it. I will endorse that, because you will find that you enjoy being able to use it as a truck for Home Depot runs and the like, and you will be able to enjoy casual car shows and Corvair club events.

If you do want to sell it, you'll find people at the Home Depot and at the car shows and in the club asking whether it is for sale.

If it is structurally sound underneath, it may be worthwhile to fix it, so put it on a lift and examine it with that in mind.

The following is a self-serving comment: If the truck is sound, I have available virtually every part your need to fix it, including those front wheel arches.

WhyImWhenIm64

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 02, 2022 08:20AM

If you bought it on eBay they have some kind of buyer protection. I would absolutely blame the liar that told you it wasn't rusty. People should be honest. Some rust can be hidden but that isn't and wouldn't be to anyone even taking a casual look.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Date: August 02, 2022 08:23AM

@Whenlm64

Thank you, I may need to buy some parts.

The truck is a cool truck. I have crawled under the car to look at the body. There is a spot or two I am unsure about it being structurally sound. One is where the cab meets the rest of the body. Another is where the rear wheel well attaches to the rest of the body, which has crumbly rust.

I am comfortable with any issues it has except for the body, since I have no knowledge or experience or tools for it. For that I would prefer to have a professional look at it. I am taking it to a local auto restore place to have them lift it and take a look.

If I own the truck then I want to maintain it and keep it alive. But, given the rust I think it will fall apart sooner than later unless I do something about it or sell it to someone who will.

I am in Dothan, AL. Does anyone know a Corvair body restoration shop/person in the greater area? (Dothan is basically the Florida panhandle and is close to southwest GA as well)

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 02, 2022 08:31AM

We just had our Corvair convention a couple of weeks ago close to that area. There are a number of Corvair people and Corvair clubs in your general proximity. My 3
"local" Corvair clubs (of which I am a member of all 3) are 200-3000 miles away from me. I consider them to be a great source of skill, knowledge, and parts/cars.
BTW, my favorite Corvair that I own is still my 63 Rampside that I have owned since 1980.

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: August 02, 2022 08:32AM

Fraud, I'm afraid. What you do about it is up to you.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: August 02, 2022 09:23AM

mhughes30 Wrote:
Another is where the rear wheel well attaches to the rest of the body, which has crumbly rust.
>

I have seen many, many FCs on the road with worse rust than yours (on one side) in this area, including my own. It not a terrible spot to reinforce, since you can basically get at all sides.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Date: August 02, 2022 09:51AM

Thanks everyone. I am looking into repairing the rusted areas.

Also, given the rust pictures I've shown, and knowing that the truck runs very well, and everything works, except for some shifting difficulties, what do you think is a fair price for it if I sell it?

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.