Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Can anyone identify this noise?
Posted by: slow61 ()
Date: August 01, 2022 04:56PM

I've semi recently acquired a 66 sedan. Some of you may remember it from a post AZDave made a while back. It is definitely an unfinished project, but it has a lot of potential.

I've been working through it's issues as time allows, and I've come upon an odd noise from the rear of the car that I don't recognize. It's a sort of whine that I get when turning in either direction at parking lot speeds.

Here's a short video of it.

The noise gets louder when in neutral or with the clutch in vs when the transmission is engaged. I've checked levels and topped up the differential and transmission with Amsoil 75w-90 GL4 oil. Is this possibly a positraction noise? It doesn't sound like any wheel bearing problems I've ever heard, but maybe?

If it is a posi noise, do I add an additive? I'm aware the manual specifically recommends against a friction modifier.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can anyone identify this noise?
Posted by: corvairsince70 ()
Date: August 01, 2022 06:19PM

95% sure that is the positraction making that noise. Add a tube of the Amsoil SLIP-LOK to the differential. It should go away.

Dennis
Nashville area

Date: August 03, 2022 02:50PM

Since no one else seems to have any other ideas, I'll try add some friction modifier. I've ordered a bottle of motorcraft XL3 rather than the amsoil you recommended. That's what Bob Anderson of CIDCO fame always recommended, or so I'm told.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: August 03, 2022 11:42PM

slow61 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since no one else seems to have any other ideas,

Sorry, no one else has replied. I listened, but I have never heard that sound.

Seems high pitched to me... Far fetched guess: Is it the front tires squealing on the asphalt?

My posi-traction "chattered" (grabbed / released) when not happy. A bottle of posi fluid "fixed" it - as stated above.

So, what you experience with the posi is not what I have experienced.

Good luck.

Date: August 04, 2022 07:13AM

Haha, no need to apologize. I didn't mean to come off so disaffected

The noise is most definitely coming from the rear of the car. I've never had a positraction rear end in a corvair, and the cars I have had with posi never gave me any problems, but in general people refer to posi noise as a chatter or clicking noise. I found an old thread here from 2011 where davemotohead described a squeal around tight corners that was cured with friction modifier, and vairchet described the noise as a groan, which was not cured with the additive.

The thread of reference

I guess my noise is somewhere in the squeal or groan neighborhood, so maybe the posi additive will help. Worst case scenario is it doesn't help, but makes my transmission shift poorly, and I end up having to drain and refill with fresh oil.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.