Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New Paint!!! Finally!
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: August 10, 2022 09:07PM

Good looking job, Will. I like the color. On deeper reflection, I am glad you didn't quite go with my paint code, which I may just keep secret from now on. There Can Be Only One BLUVAIR.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Willt65 ()
Date: August 11, 2022 06:15AM

Thanks Eric, Yes your beautiful car shouldn't be copied! I appreciate you sharing with me what you did, your secret is safe!winking smiley

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project
66 Monza parts car
49 Chevy 5 window project
08 Chevy 2500
13 Honda Odyssey
07 Honda 919
00 Honda Forman
04 Honda Rancher
05 Honda Forman
96 Honda XR400R

The picture is me on the right with the Gentleman that purchased the car new in 65!

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: August 11, 2022 06:17AM

You're probably already waaaaaaay ahead of me, but don't forget to paint the two trim pieces on the ends in the rear cove area silver.
Very nice job and must be gratifying to see all the hard work paying off. Keep up the good work!

Date: August 11, 2022 07:30AM

Thanks! Yes I already have painted it silver, found a Honda touch up paint called Star Bright Silver I think for $1 a can at surplus city. They had a whole skid of different silvers and I picked 5 or 6 different ones. Sprayed all of them out to compare and that one was almost exact match. Took the whole cove area down to bare metal, primed and them painted with several coats. Done that about 2 years ago, when I was getting the tail lights sorted out. Amazing how many different colors of Silver are out there!! Thanks for the reminder though, I am good at missing things, need all the help I can Get!!!cool smiley

It is very nice seeing things start to come together, however I'm trying not to think about it done yet, just trying to at lest do one thing every night after work to keep the project moving, that sometimes is difficult. I have been getting more that one thing done a night here lately so it's good! This project has taught me LOTS of patience!!!

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You're probably already waaaaaaay ahead of me, but don't forget to paint the two trim pieces on the ends in the rear cove area silver.
> Very nice job and must be gratifying to see all the hard work paying off. Keep up the good work!

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project
66 Monza parts car
08 Chevy 2500
13 Honda Odyssey
07 Honda 919
00 Honda Forman
04 Honda Rancher
05 Honda Forman
96 Honda XR400R

The picture is me on the right with the Gentleman that purchased the car new in 65!

Date: September 17, 2022 05:34PM

Well it's been over a month since last post and much had happened, for me anyway.
I got the hood, trunk, and doors on, then took the car to a good body man that I know to get his opinion on what to do with the paint problems that I had. He said that the holes that appeared all over the car was solvent pop, and that had occurred because of too fast of a reducer for the temp that I painted, combined with too heavy. I had tried to sand and buff, but the compound ended up just filling all of the holes leaving white dots everywhere! So I had to repaint the entire car. This time I added another part of Slow reducer(the paint came premixed with the reducer, all I needed to add was the hardner). Wet sanded all of the orange peel out of it, and reshot the paint. I also got some tips on how to get the paint to lay flatter with proper gun adjustments. When I repainted it I ran into a problem, the first coat wouldn't flow into the holes from the solvent pop, So I had to lay down a heavier coat on the second and third coat. This caused several runs because I needed to get the paint to flow over the holes more that I needed it to lay nice. That said this go around turned out much better!! Now I'm in the process of putting some of the trim on, though I'm not putting it all on till I get the car sanded and buffed. Got to get my fire wood done for the year so it will be awhile before I get all that done. I'll add a few pics.

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project
66 Monza parts car
08 Chevy 2500
13 Honda Odyssey
07 Honda 919
00 Honda Forman
04 Honda Rancher
05 Honda Forman
96 Honda XR400R

Date: September 17, 2022 05:38PM

Here's sanding and fixing a few dents that I had missed. That one good thing about repainting, fixing the dents I missed!!

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project
66 Monza parts car
08 Chevy 2500
13 Honda Odyssey
07 Honda 919
00 Honda Forman
04 Honda Rancher
05 Honda Forman
96 Honda XR400R

Attachments:

Date: September 17, 2022 05:43PM

Looks much better, now to cut and buff! Has lots of paint on it, so hopefully my amateur self can do it without to much problems!! Lol!

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project
66 Monza parts car
08 Chevy 2500
13 Honda Odyssey
07 Honda 919
00 Honda Forman
04 Honda Rancher
05 Honda Forman
96 Honda XR400R

Attachments:

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: September 17, 2022 06:34PM

Will that is a bright blue car. It is great looking.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: September 17, 2022 07:11PM

Looking good!!

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: Gatorfly ()
Date: September 17, 2022 09:01PM

Nice job Will! Looking forward to seeing the final cut. smileys with beer

San Juan Islands, WA

1965 Monza Coupe 110/4 Evening Orchid/Black (2nd Owner)
1966 Corsa Coupe 180/4 Marina Blue/Blue

Date: September 18, 2022 05:12AM

Thanks Guys, I am also looking forward to the final cut!!! The closer I get the more difficult it is to not just go to the garage and work! I have to keep family priorities in there, so takes longer that I would like. I'm sure I'll have a learning curve buffing too, thankfully lots of paint to work with!!

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project
66 Monza parts car
08 Chevy 2500
13 Honda Odyssey
07 Honda 919
00 Honda Forman
04 Honda Rancher
05 Honda Forman
96 Honda XR400R

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: September 18, 2022 05:32AM

Take you time and don't rush it and you will be fine.

Something I have finally come to terms with, no matter what there will be imperfections and you probably be the only one that notices.

Looks good. thumbs up

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
62' Wagon rebuild MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: September 18, 2022 10:24AM

Willt65 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks much better, now to cut and buff! Has lots of paint on it, so hopefully my amateur self can do it without to much problems!! Lol!

Love The Color Love the Color Love the Color!!!!!!!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car
Test Start#2 [www.youtube.com]

Date: September 18, 2022 12:31PM

cool smileycool smileycool smileyThanks!!! Yes there are going to be issues that hopefully only I will see! Still hard to not make it perfect, I'd never get done!

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project
66 Monza parts car
08 Chevy 2500
13 Honda Odyssey
07 Honda 919
00 Honda Forman
04 Honda Rancher
05 Honda Forman
96 Honda XR400R

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.