Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Is this the Oldest Canadian-built Corvair still on the Planet?
Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: July 31, 2022 08:13AM

The last time I started a thread about having "The Oldest Corvair blah blah blah" someone found one older. Thanks, Mel! Now, here is your chance to prove me wrong once again! The car in the pics is Canadian-built 1960 500 sedan #236. It was built very early in the initial production run at the Oshawa, Ontario assembly plant. It has a storied past but was recently rescued from a car port in Florida and brought up to Michigan. Again. I have bought this car on several occasions. Guess I just can't get enough of this little beauty. The "action" shot was on the cover of the Hagerty Insurance magazine back in 2017. The current shot sitting in my front yard awaiting a bath shows a need for redemption. Hoping to keep this guy this time. Maybe?

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is this the Oldest Canadian-built Corvair still on the Planet?
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 31, 2022 07:44PM

You bought Ed's car?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: July 31, 2022 11:46PM

To clear this up; I sold this car to Ed, then I bought it back from him. Then he bought it from me again and I recently bought it back from him. 31 years ago I bought this car from Dave Binnie. Then a week later I sold it to Jim Garrison. After Jim won the Ed Cole Award at the 1991 CORSA Convention he sold the car back to me. While living in Connecticut I sold the car to a friend but he changed his mind and I got it back from him.

Several times I have tried to interest the Canadian Automotive Museum in Oshawa, Ontario into acepting a loan of this car for display, but nothing ever came of it.

Date: August 01, 2022 07:13AM

Going to the Michigan Secretary of State office this morning to apply for title on this beauty. I did have the local Police Department stop by and fill out the form to correct a mistake with the serial # (VIN). Yes, it is still car #236 but now the correct assembly plant code will be reflected. This error took place on September 1, 1960 when the dealer - Harriston Motors dealer traded for the car. A "W" was inserted where an "O" should have been. All of the paper work for the last 62 years has had this error. The Police Officer was very helpful and we pitched him the idea that maybe he should get a Corvair. Wouldn't hurt to have a member of local law enforcement in our club!

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: August 01, 2022 10:00AM

Great Story!
Not sure they even charge it, but it'd be interesting to know how much in province/state sales tax has been paid on this car in 62 years, with that many sales.

Date: August 02, 2022 06:25AM

I remember this car well from when Jim had it, was the quietest Corvair I have ever heard. Nice to see it get a new life.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 02, 2022 07:21AM

Nothing quieter running than a stock low miles 80 HP. I had a 61 with 38K on it, so quiet. smileys with beer

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: August 02, 2022 10:31AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing quieter running than a stock low miles 80 HP. I had a 61 with 38K on it, so quiet. smileys with beer

The one variable in the 80HP engine being so quiet must be the camshaft. With the .314/.345 lift and from what I've been able to find is a 165 degree duration (and I believe it is not an @ .050 number) make for a quiet running engine. I don't know the LSA on that cam but there is likely little to no overlap.

By contrast I have another(V-8) car that has a cam with 58 degrees overlap. I thought that the 2 into 1, single 3" exhaust into a chambered Magnaflow muffler was the cause of a brain numbing drone from 1,900-2,600 RPM. I went all the way down to 2-1/4" and a conventional performance muffler..., and the drone is still there. Never had it before the cam change.

I recall being on vacation and buying gas in Pennsylvania. An EM Corvair caught my eye. I remember seeing the driver turn the key and there being only the faintest of sound as he drove out. It must have been an 80HP engine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 02, 2022 10:54AM

I have heard the 60 is so quiet on the interior noise level due to the fact they have no direct air heater as well as the fact that (maybe) the General put a lot of effort into the first year. (I don't think I have ever ridden in a 60).
This is a nice car. I saw it in person when Ed brought it to the Pittsburg convention.

Date: August 03, 2022 07:35AM

5 feet away from this car and you couldn't hear it run. It left a huge impression on me. The license plate was "Dork" I believe. A 60 is on my list of must have's because of this car.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.