Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Advice needed - Transporting EM Corvair with no powerpack (rear wheels)
Posted by: OldWrenchTurner ()
Date: July 30, 2022 04:38PM

Hi everyone,

I'm in the planning stage for getting my Corvair into the body shop for some TLC. I'd like to work on the powerpack while the car is in the shop. The trouble is, as everyone knows, no powerpack (aka engine, transmission, transaxle) means no rear wheels, making transporting the car a much more difficult proposition.

Does anyone have any advice on the best (safest) way to do this?

Thanks!

Re: Advice needed - Transporting EM Corvair with no powerpack (rear wheels)
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 30, 2022 04:52PM

Trailer it.

Posted by: wv-geo ()
Date: July 30, 2022 05:19PM

Slip the ends of the axles into a pipe long enough so they won’t slip out.
That will straighten the wheels out enough to be able to move the car around.

Dan Stark
Hurricane, WV

1961 Lakewood 500, 80HP, PG
1964 Corvair 500 Coupe, 140HP, 4spd (Christine)
1965 Corvair Monza Evening Orchid Convertible, 140HP, PG
1965 Mustang Coupe, 6cyl, 3spd

Date: July 30, 2022 05:51PM

If you don't have the rear suspension or front suspension installed, your only option is going to be building a "dolly" for the unibody that will allow it to be loaded on a trailer and then moved around the body shop when there.

Many have left the front & rear suspensions intact with the control arms and on out to the wheels (including front steering).
Leaving the rear axle assembly together, but using a tube with lock bolts to link the two axle shafts together makes it easy to move the unibody around as "normal"

Either obtain replacement front & rear suspension assemblies that you can rebuild while the the unibody is in "paint jail" - or wait until it comes home and then drop them and rebuild them before final assembly.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CCF admin ~
CORSA +Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: July 31, 2022 03:49PM

Took a little doing, but my local body guy had a dolly in his shop that he used in his business. Managed to get the unibody stripped chassis out to him on a trailer. He then picked it up with a sling and a winch on a ceiling beam. With the car still suspended in air, he maneuvered a rotisserie underneath it, then attached the car to that and it could be moved around the shop.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Very near concours perfect.

File Name File Size Date Added Delete
Corsasmall.jpg

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: July 31, 2022 06:27PM

I put an old Powerglide assembly into the car and tied it up to a 2x4 that I stretched out over where the engine normally goes. The Powerglide and the differential were from a junk car.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Early Guy ()
Date: July 31, 2022 07:27PM

If you're leaving the rear suspension installed just bolt the axle bearings back in their place. The axles will flop around inside the control arms but for just hand pushing around the body shop and loading on a trailer its fine. I wouldn't recommend towing any distance like that.

Ray Johnson Villa Park IL 63 Spyder Conv. 140 EFI

Posted by: OldWrenchTurner ()
Date: July 31, 2022 10:46PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I think the idea of leaving the rear (and front) suspension in place and using the simple 'connector' tube on the rear axles is and elegant and safe way to keep the car mobile on all four wheels with the powerpack removed. This will make it much easier to get on a trailer to the shop, plus allow them to move it around when they get to work on it.

I appreciate all the expert advice! thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.