Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Re: Bought me a Corsa convertible_pics
Posted by: Gatorfly ()
Date: July 30, 2022 11:05AM

According to your vehicles data plate George, the remote mirror was not a factory installed option and looks like it was added later. The rear antenna was a factory installed option on your car according to the data plate. The location of the remote bezel also appears to have been relocated as you suggested.
Overall it’s a beautiful Corsa and a great purchase smileys with beer

San Juan Islands, WA

1965 Monza Coupe 110/4 Evening Orchid/Black (2nd Owner)
1966 Corsa Coupe 180/4 Marina Blue/Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2022 11:07AM by Gatorfly.

Posted by: Gatorfly ()
Date: July 30, 2022 11:32AM

I sold my 65 Corsa 140 convertible a while back. It’s trim codes were identical to those on your car George. Original factory combo was Artesian Turquoise with Ivory interior and white top, one of my favorite combos. I like what the previous owner has done to your a Corsa as well, beautiful looking combination. Enjoy!

San Juan Islands, WA

1965 Monza Coupe 110/4 Evening Orchid/Black (2nd Owner)
1966 Corsa Coupe 180/4 Marina Blue/Blue

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: July 30, 2022 01:05PM

I do not think your starting problem is weird or strange. I think its very common.I wired in a ford starter solenoid on my 49 Chevy Fleetline as it was having a hard time starting on these 90 degree days. That cured it. A couple of years later, the car just started dying after driving it a ways, it would start, die, start, die. One day it acted like it was good. Wrong. I took it a few miles away from home. It died, started, died, started, etc. I coasted into a side street. Played with the battery wire pos to the ford solenoid...it started and ran, but just enough to make it almost home. I was not the battery, it was not the pos battery wire, it was the ford solenoid. Shaking the wire made something connect on the inside of the solenoid. I jumped a wire from the ign on the solenoid to the pos battery post, and it made it into the garage.

A friend of mine just bought his first boat. He pushed the boat off the trailer into the water...it would not start. When he told me the story I immediately said" You had corroded wires". Yes was his answer.

Those stories I have lived and experienced several times. I doubt your battery was bad with 12.6 volts showing. Check your wires, you might have cleaned a contact changing the battery is my guess. If you see any white powder on the cable anywhere no matter how small, that is also a source of a problem.

Love your great Corvair purchase...love the colors and interor.

64 Monza conv
66 Monza 140/PG
Member of CORSA

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: July 30, 2022 02:16PM

I sincerely like your "new" Corsa. smileys with beer

The interior and exterior color combination works very well.

Agree that the extra taillights are unappealing but certainly not a deal-breaker.

I'm guessing that you are not planning to "delete" the extra taillights due to the required body work and paint, correct?

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Corvair Club Webmaster
Springfest Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: BigGeorgesVair ()
Date: July 30, 2022 05:15PM

Dean, I actually DO plan on deleting the extra lights (long term plan) since the cove also needs to be painted the correct color too. Which leads me to another question for the experts out there. On closer inspection, under the chrome cove trim, the end pieces are painted black....at first I thought it was a mistake or oversight, and then I noticed the same thing on another Corsa I saw the other night online. I would expect that they should be silver OR body color. On my 500 coupe, they are body color.

What's the consensus on that??
Thanks....George

George O¸
1967 Corvair 500 110/PG. in family since 1969 with 1200 miles(75k currently).

Date: July 30, 2022 06:05PM

BigGeorgesVair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dean, I actually DO plan on deleting the extra lights (long term plan) since the cove also needs to be painted the correct color too. Which leads me to another question for the experts out there. On closer inspection, under the chrome cove trim, the end pieces are painted black....at first I thought it was a mistake or oversight, and then I noticed the same thing on another Corsa I saw the other night online. I would expect that they should be silver OR body color. On my 500 coupe, they are body color.
>
> What's the consensus on that??
> Thanks....George

George,
Love the new Corsa Convertible..... except like you the - uh - extra tailights...

Perhaps using the newest metal adhesives you may be able to repair the holes and then refinish the complete cove in "Argent Silver" as Chevrolet did when building the Corsa in 1965 & 1966.

The cast cove trim is also painted "Argent Silver" and then the bright anodized aluminum is installed before it is attached to each corner of the finished panel.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CCF admin ~
CORSA +Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: July 30, 2022 06:38PM

It is amazing how many cove castings don't match the cove paint. It must be that people take them off to remove the trim for painting and then they get set aside until after the painting. When they go to put them on, they realize they didn't get painted but it's too late so on they go.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: July 30, 2022 07:15PM

Hi George, I did the same hydro dip process on my '65 Corsa. It was the hardest job I did on the entire restoration. The problem was trying to "book match the wood grain on the glove box door & surround. Mine is actually more of a cherry wood color than yours is & I think yours looks nicer than mine.
I had the same starting issue as you. It turns out that the contact plate ( it looks like a big washer)in the starter solenoid was corroded. I cleaned it on the bench grinder wire wheel, put it back together & all is good now.
Thanks for sharing the pics with the rest of us ! You made a screaming deal in my opinion.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: July 30, 2022 07:46PM

George, as Dan suggested, you might try the panel adhesive to fill in the holes. I used panel adhesive on my lower quarter panels and it has held up for 14 years and still going strong. Good luck with the car. I know Ben took good care of it for many years.

I expect to see it at the next meeting. Seriously. hot smiley

Cliff Tibbitts
Nicholasville, KY
CORSA, CKCE, Derby City Corvairs
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2022 07:49PM by TIBCO.

Date: July 31, 2022 06:00AM

Thanks Doug!,

Cliff, It'll be there with me at the next meeting (unless its raining!grinning smiley ) THANKS!

George O¸

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: July 31, 2022 10:00AM

Raining? What? The top don't leak.

Cliff Tibbitts
Nicholasville, KY
CORSA, CKCE, Derby City Corvairs
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Date: July 31, 2022 01:41PM

I thought ALL convertibles leaked some??confused smiley its still new to me...give me 'time' HAHAHAsmiling bouncing smiley

George O¸

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: August 02, 2022 08:53PM

BigGeorge, I recently learned that finishes like you & I have aren't always done with a hydro-dip process. Do you suppose that yours is done with a wrap process ? I know mine is a hydro-dip because I did it myself. I don't think it's possible to get nice results like this with using a vinyl overlay, or "stickers".

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: August 03, 2022 10:07AM

I like the color and the taillights. Lots and lots of stock cars, but few that still rock their "back in the day" mods.

Keep it I say!

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White
1969 Monza Convertible, 110HP-PG, Frost Green

Black Mountain,NC

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 87
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96
02, Chevy Z71, 4x4, 93K miles, my Dad's truck, inherited 2021

Date: August 07, 2022 10:28AM

DOUG WARD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BigGeorge, I recently learned that finishes like you & I have aren't always done with a hydro-dip process. Do you suppose that yours is done with a wrap process ? I know mine is a hydro-dip because I did it myself. I don't think it's possible to get nice results like this with using a vinyl overlay, or "stickers".

Doug,
Sent you a PM.
Thanks...George

George O¸

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.