Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
GM 557A Battery... still good?
Posted by: Grandpacorvair ()
Date: July 28, 2022 05:10PM

What are the odds an OEM/NOS GM 557A battery (dry) is till good and will work when filled.

If still good... any bets on how long it might last??

Thanks

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GM 557A Battery... still good?
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: July 28, 2022 06:52PM

I'd say very likely fine. As to how long it would last... with TLC you should get 5-years or more. Note, the CCA is pretty low; around 275.

Most people who find a 557 don't even put acid in it, they just install it for shows.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: July 29, 2022 07:19AM

I had a few NOS, and since no one on these forums was interested in them, I have been using them for my Corvairs. For the last one, I was able to get 7 years out of it using a battery tender in the winter. I am now down to my last 2 or 3, and at some time in the future, who knows, a reproduction AMD battery might become available.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 29, 2022 05:46PM

I did what Craig mentioned. For Concourse operations check, I had a new battery. For show I installed the zero volts OEM Delco with vented caps.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: July 30, 2022 06:47AM

Had a 557 that lasted 3+ years. Probably would have lasted longer if I had done the battery tender deal.

Would love to find another...

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Posted by: Beers ()
Date: July 30, 2022 06:48PM

I see in the last supplement that Clark’s was working with a manufacturer on a repro

[ssl.corvair.com]

‘63 Monza Spyder convertible [www.corvairforum.com]
SF Bay Area, CA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: July 31, 2022 06:55AM

Beers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see in the last supplement that Clark’s was working with a manufacturer on a repro
>
> [ssl.corvair.com]

One of the problems That I see is that GM used a different battery top configuration starting in 1964 when they went to the push-in 3 gang tops with a vent hose. This is a one-year-only battery. Prior to that, the caps were screwed into the battery.

Speaking about caps, I am looking for some yellow screw-in battery caps should you have any lying around. Need 6 total, but will take what I can get.

For some unknown reason I can't post pictures of the 1964 Delco battery with the vented caps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2022 06:57AM by junkman.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 02, 2022 07:07AM

BTW. This is a group 53 battery in battery speak. Also used in welders. In all applications not needing to be stock the group 51 (without without R for reversed poles) works, so sales of 53 declined

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.