Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
gas line shutoff
Posted by: corvairbob ()
Date: July 28, 2022 05:38AM

i want to install a gas line shutoff in the engine bay area on the 65 i have. so what would be a safe valve for the engine bay heat and or where would be a good spot for one? also another fuel filter it in the same area?

i have a filter now just behind the bulkhead by the D S read wheel. i guess i could put a gas shutoff valve there

so any ideas on one that might be easy to use and safe? thanks bob palmer

Re: gas line shutoff
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: July 28, 2022 05:43AM

WHY ?? gas won't flow unless it is pumped

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 28, 2022 06:13AM

valve will be a restrictor in the 5/16 line unless you find one which has a hole the same size as an inline filter currently being used.

I just use a Lisle hose pincher near the gas tank when I need to stop the flow of fuel for repairs.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 28, 2022 07:08PM

Well, could be useful if you park with the front end up a hill and the engine lower and a needle and seat do not seal well, right Cliff?winking smiley

But in normal use, I do not see a need, especially if it is a restriction in the fuel line. That would make vapor lock more likely if installed on the suction side of the pump.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: August 03, 2022 11:58AM

Yes Frank, it would have come in handy that time. smoking smiley

Cliff Tibbitts
Nicholasville, KY
CORSA, CKCE, Derby City Corvairs
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: August 03, 2022 08:49PM

With a little judicious re-bending, you could probably add a small 90 degree shut-off valve to the inlet side of the fuel pump.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site: [www.perfvair.com]

Located in lovely San Jose, California

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: August 04, 2022 03:35AM

With a little work, you could put a valve on the main fuel line inside the engine compartment.

One of valves with inverted flare fittings would do the job without using hoses. Cut the line and cut line back some. Flare new line ends with nuts added and you are done.

You can also lock the lever in either position if you have a bracket valve is clamped on.

Note:

I found inverted flare fittings for a GF-99 filter that I am using on my Camaro, since the Holley carb has no internal inlet filter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2022 03:37AM by Lane66m.

Attachments:
Date: August 07, 2022 07:19AM

thanks for all the ideas i did not have the email me boxed checked for this thread so late reply and for those that wondeed i park the car over winter and i want to run the carbs dry. it seems every spring when i start the car i have cab issues and i have to take them apart and clean them.

i have an electric pump now and i just installed a cutoff switch up where the wires and lines come thru the bulkhead. so that works great.

i do not know why i'm getting junk in the carb unless the fuel lines are rusting on the inside. i have a new tank and i took the sender out and looked inside and it was clean.

the gas i got this last time i think may have been bad because when i pumped it out it was red. let me post what i got out of the tank.

so i put in a new filter behind the alt. for next year and will see hoe that works. and i will take it off and check it for junk in the spring to see if it is plugged up or not

if it turns out i have rusting gas lines is there any pvc lines made for the car? if i put pvc lines on it my rusting days are gone. i can get stainless but pvc may work as good and be lots cheaper.

ok photos are 1st what came out of the tank and 2nd what i had in a gas can see the difference. i do not ever recall high test being red like this the 2nd photo is regular gas not high test but came for the same station and same pump. thanks

Date: August 07, 2022 07:33AM

ok maybe the photos will go now

Attachments:

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: August 07, 2022 09:12AM

corvairbob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> the gas i got this last time i think may have been bad because when i pumped it out it was red. let me post what i got out of the tank.
>

>
I don't know about where you live, but around here the only way to get RED gas is if someone mixed it with heating oil or off road diesel

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: August 07, 2022 09:23AM

thanks it is possible it has diesel in it as the tanker that delivers the gas to the station may have had some diesel in the truck when they filled it with gas. they do have diesel pumps and underground tanks. that may be why the carb has what looked like snot in the bottom of the bowl as well.

anyway the tank is bone dry the lines are bone dry and the carbs are as dry as running out of gas got them and i'm sure they will be dry soon.

thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.