Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Greenbrier Steering Refurbishing
Posted by: Andrew B ()
Date: July 27, 2022 03:27PM

I have removed most of the steering components from my 1963 Greenbrier (not the steering box). To be honest, I caused a little damage to the relay arm while taking the front suspension off. (don't ask)

All these parts are caked with hardened dirt and grease. I used a wire wheel to clean them up and they look great. Now I wonder if I took off a protective coat like seasoning on a cast iron pan. Do I need to paint these parts? What do you folks think? I have small tins of POR-15 that I can use to put on a thin topcoat.

Also, I think everything looks in good order, I am going to grease all the tie rod ends and put on new seals. I am also getting a new idler arm seal and plastic washer for the idler arm. Other than the cotter pins, does anything else need to be replaced when you do this?

Thanks in advance, Andrew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2022 03:29PM by Andrew B.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Greenbrier Steering Refurbishing
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 27, 2022 05:18PM

What needs to be replaced is subjective. Of course, anything that is damaged or warn. looks like your going in the right direction.thumbs up

As far as coatings. There are several companies that make "cast Iron paint". Some are nothing more than Gray paint. However others are a perfect match to fresh cast iron. I have used it for transaxils and other parts for concourse competition. The coating-paint I used was from Lawson Products. Unfortunately it has been reformulated "to save the earth" so what they have now is not quite correct. For me, fortunately, I bought several cans years ago.
I would recommend trying different brand's of cast iron paint to find one that looks the best. smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Date: July 27, 2022 05:30PM

Thanks Dave.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: July 27, 2022 06:55PM

This is exact argent silver color and hold up great.

Attachments:
Date: July 31, 2022 02:38PM

I'm stuck.
I can't separate the connecting rod (#8 on the drawing) from the Pitman Arm
1)I have tried using a pickle fork and its a no go.
2) I tried the hammer hitting one side of the pitman arm opening with a mass on the other side.
I then tried a combination of 1 and 2 by inserting the pickle fork to create some tension THEN squashing the pitman arm opening with a hammer and putting some mass behind it.

any suggestions?

Attachments:

Posted by: Tramp61 ()
Date: July 31, 2022 04:03PM

Andrew: It looks like you have enough clearance to get a tie rod puller on that. Harbor Freight or FLAPS have them. Measure the width and find a suitable tie rod puller. Good luck!

Craig T
Central NY
1961 Tramp (truck with a ramp)

Date: July 31, 2022 05:24PM

Thanks. I will try that out tomorrow. I have used one of those before and had mixed results.

Posted by: Tramp61 ()
Date: July 31, 2022 06:00PM

Andrew: Should have added to make sure it is a close match to the knuckle size. If the tool has a dimple on the end, put the nut on the tie rod to help center it. It gets maximum thrust only if it is lined up nice and straight. If that fails, add heat to it with the puller under tension. It will work eventually. Hope you get it.

Craig T
Central NY
1961 Tramp (truck with a ramp)

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: July 31, 2022 06:32PM

[www.youtube.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 01, 2022 10:34AM

For me sometimes backup up the other side with a bigger hammer works great like you already tried but sometimes it doesn't seem to help and just giving is a big smack with a heavy hammer is what it seems to want. It definitely seems to help to have tension on it when you hit it.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: August 01, 2022 04:27PM

Yes. Put the nut back on to protect the threads. Then use two large hammers. Swing them both at the same time striking at the same time impacting both sides of the TR end. It may take a few blows, but this method has never failed me. Even when I lived in Up-State NY where rusted suspension parts are extremely severe.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: August 03, 2022 02:41AM

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 03, 2022 10:04AM

Corventure Dave
Yes. Put the nut back on to protect the threads. Then use two large hammers. Swing them both at the same time striking at the same time impacting both sides of the TR end. It may take a few blows, but this method has never failed me. Even when I lived in Up-State NY where rusted suspension parts are extremely severe.

Ding Ding Ding We have a winner! This is my go to method for any tapered joint on a suspension. Yes, requires coordination and swinging room. When no swinging room for two, place the 5 pound sledge with the short handle as the back up and swing the 2.5 or 3 pound hammer. Leave those dinky 16 and 24 ounce hammers in the toolbox.

And please put the nut back on, not tight. You will hit the threads....winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.