Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Corvairs are Criminally Undervalued !
Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: July 28, 2022 10:29AM

The story is that the coupe was delayed at least one model year while engineers tried to get the windows to seal correctly. They finally came up with a weight, cable, pully system to get them to seal at speeds over 60mph.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: July 29, 2022 09:53AM

Skizz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This guy is trying to get the prices up ..
> [norfolk.craigslist.org]

Man...and it's not even a convertible.drinking smiley

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White
1969 Monza Convertible, 110HP-PG, Frost Green

Black Mountain,NC

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 87
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96
02, Chevy Z71, 4x4, 93K miles, my Dad's truck, inherited 2021

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: July 29, 2022 10:10AM

Is that a continental kit on the back? You would think for 20k that they could at the least wash it.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: July 29, 2022 10:16AM

Several of the writers for Hemmings are Corvair owners and enthusiasts. I suspect, though, for most Corvair owners having them be undervalued is anything but "criminal." Most owners I've met think getting an undervalued car is just a fine idea. If the online comments are any reliable indicator, as soon as the asking price of a Corvair goes over, say, $15,000 or so, people start to say they aren't worth it. I know what I value mine at, and on a couple of occasions when someone at a show has started asking what I'd take for it (Usually by saying "Everything has a price."). when they get up to about what I put into it over 6+ years, my answer has been "Bill Gates doesn't have enough money to buy That car. If you can spend that much, build your own."

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Very near concours perfect.

File Name File Size Date Added Delete
Corsasmall.jpg

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: July 29, 2022 10:19AM

My 69 E-type FHC in Vanwall Green now lives in Norway. I don't miss it.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Very near concours perfect.

File Name File Size Date Added Delete
Corsasmall.jpg

Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: July 29, 2022 12:05PM

Interestingly enough I just got an email today from Hagerty saying that they think the $25K value I've assigned to my Corvair is $5K too low.

Posted by: NapaVair ()
Date: July 29, 2022 12:29PM

I also got the Hagerty notice a month ago, increased value to $35k. The reality is I could not duplicate the car for that amount…restoring any car today to a high level is an expensive endeavor.

Check out the Bring a Trailer sold graph link below…it appears more vairs are selling past the $25k mark.

[bringatrailer.com]

Eric
Napa CA

Date: July 29, 2022 07:05PM

For those that appreciate the Jaguar and the Corvair

Consider Jay Eitel's Jaguair - yes an amazing blend of V-12 Jaguar power in a full custom Corvair coupe.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CCF admin ~
CORSA +Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 29, 2022 08:42PM

I first saw that V12 car at the GWFBT in Palm Springs back in the 80s. An amazing work of art to say the least.

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: July 31, 2022 04:45PM

gbullman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The one that resonated with me was mid 70’s American cars. I consider 1974 the worst year for American cars, complicated unreliable emissions controls and the ugliest bumpers ever. It took a while but have always felt there was gradual improvement from 1975 on.

Gee Gary, you may be right... but in 1974 I bought my first NEW car, a dark green Dodge Monaco 4 door sedan. Think "Blues Brothers" mobile.
I loved it; people kept asking if it was a Buick!
It did give me some problems with the warped base of that 2bbl carb on the 360 engine (which I never resolved, because at age 23 I had other things on my mind).

Today, one of my vehicles is a 1974 AMC Matador wagon. Another real boat. Sometime in the past, I posted pics of it here on CCF.
I loved the massive chrome bumpers on both cars.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.