Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
WARNING: Duplicolor Trunk Spatter Paint
Posted by: RThompson ()
Date: July 25, 2022 07:52PM

Just a heads up to those out there who want to use the new Duplicolor "Trunk Paint" (comes in a new style can with a plastic wrap label):

If you are looking for a match to what the original DuPont factory spatter color and pattern is, you will NOT find it with this stuff.

The gray is much lighter and the white spatter is non-existent. The dots are so tiny, it looks as if you sprayed primer. The new formula is lacquer based, not water based like in their previous formula which came in a blue can that said "Spatter Paint". That old blue can formula needed to be top coated with clear lacquer in order for it to be water resistant/proof. The same can be said with all the other color formulas they have.

If you are limited to using spray cans only, consider the GM Trunk Reconditioning Paint as they have not changed the formula or spray pattern (water based). Plastkote trunk paint is also a very good paint with a good spray pattern (its difficult to find...in the last 5 years they have less distribution).

There are others ways of spraying trunk spatter paint (which this post is NOT meant to cover) and some other sources, however this is is meant to be a WARNING to anyone considering using this on their car as to avoid this stuff.

BTW, when I left a tough review of this paint on Duplicolor's website tonight, they sent it back to me saying that "ït did not meet all our website guidelines". Guess they didn;t want anyone to know that their paint is terrible and is no way a match to original paints which they claim it is on their site and on their can labels.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WARNING: Duplicolor Trunk Spatter Paint
Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: July 26, 2022 02:42AM

Thanks Rich!

Wade

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: July 26, 2022 03:16AM

This needs to be posted to other Corvair groups like Corsa and to those on Facebook.
I will if you will.

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: July 26, 2022 04:50AM

What does Clarks sell? I never wanted to pay that much to find out.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: 2-ragtops ()
Date: July 26, 2022 06:00AM

I have about 10 cans of the former/original Duplicolor if anyone needs them.

I bought a large supply and will never use them all.

Bob Bauer
Show-Me Corvairs
1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1928 Ford Model A 2 door sedan
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: July 26, 2022 08:38AM

You will never get an exact match to factory from a rattle can.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: RThompson ()
Date: July 26, 2022 08:50AM

Yes...however, not the point of my post.

The point is to advise people who did want to use a spray can to avoid Duplicolor.

The GM/AC Delco is definitely one of the better ones with a larger spatter pattern and very good color match. Water based.

The best spray can I have ever seen and used is made by Thornton Muscle Cars. They developed a special nozzle on their own which does an exceptional job of the spatter. Their own formula is not water based and does not require to be clear coated for protection, either. You have to call them to ask for a Gray/White mix to be done for your order.

Rich

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: July 26, 2022 06:22PM

Just a note that GM changed to a black/aqua color in '67 and later cars.
Mark

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: July 27, 2022 07:57PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a note that GM changed to a black/aqua color in '67 and later cars.
> Mark

66 LA cars too.

Posted by: rudyck ()
Date: July 28, 2022 03:04PM

Let me add a thought to this thread. I was looking for a paint to redo a terrible looking trunk. I bought some from Clarks and the color was way off for a 65. I tried all the local parts places with no luck. Then 1 day I was in Walmart looking at their rattle cans and came across RUST-OLEUM American Accents Stone textured paint. They have several colors but the Gray stone is really close to the original color. It has all the right color flakes and my trunk looks great. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Good luck.

Rudyck
65 Monza Vert 4sp
Rogers, Arkansas

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: July 28, 2022 07:07PM

I've done 2 EM trunks with that, followed by 2 coats of satin clear and it's looked and held up very well. Even Corvair folks approve.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.