Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Looking for reputable Speedometer Rebuilder
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: July 24, 2022 05:47PM

As the subject says, I am looking for a reputable individual or company that can rebuild or repair and calibrate Corvair Speedometers.

For the moment, I have three different Corsa Speedometers, all with different issues although none have been "Road Tested" just yet.

One squeals some when turning it by hand, one turns but requires some effort and I suspect might actually damage a cable if used as it is to long, and the third one won't spin at all by hand.

A cosmetic restoration to the dial is not needed on any of them, I would only be looking for mechanical restoration or repair and correctly calibrated to work with the tire size used on the vehicle.

I had considered simply installing a Monza Speedometer in it's place since I really don't care about the trip meter.
As I understand it this is not a simple swap but can be done with some patience.

My preference of course would be to find someone local to me but reputation and ability are more important to me.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Re: Looking for reputable Speedometer Rebuilder
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: July 24, 2022 06:14PM

[corvaircenter.com]

This was recently posted

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 24, 2022 06:53PM

AACA forum discusses this every so ofyten:

[forums.aaca.org]

in that one Bill's is named for fixing them, not restoring them.

Here is a link to a search of speedometer repair:

[forums.aaca.org]

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: July 24, 2022 07:19PM

If you were to swap in a Monza speedo the face is different in that the Monza has some silver on it so it will not match properly. You also need to cut down the Monza dash lense so the numbers match the speedo.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: Beers ()
Date: July 24, 2022 07:31PM

Bob’s speedometer (mentioned in J.O.’s link) repaired a Spyder tach for me, did a really nice job. Also restored a ‘40’s Motometer speedometer on a Willys for me several years ago, it came out perfect.

In Michigan, so not local for you, but they do good work.

‘63 Monza Spyder convertible [www.corvairforum.com]
SF Bay Area, CA

Date: July 24, 2022 07:32PM

RexJohnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you were to swap in a Monza speedo the face is different in that the Monza has some silver on it so it will not match properly. You also need to cut down the Monza dash lense so the numbers match the speedo.

Rex,
I read that in another reply when I did a quickie search prior to posting this thread.
IF I can find a reputable shop to work on the speedometer, I may send all three in for repair, maybe even send a tach while I am at it to be on the safe side.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It is appreciated.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: July 24, 2022 07:41PM

Beers Wrote:
> Bob’s speedometer (mentioned in J.O.’s link) repaired a Spyder tach for me, did a really nice job. Also restored a ‘40’s Motometer speedometer on a Willys for me several years ago, it came out perfect.
>
> In Michigan, so not local for you, but they do good work.

Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated.

In addition to my speedometer needing attention, I may also send whomever I use a speedometer from my brother's 1938 Ford truck Dad bought it back around 1964.

My Dad has recently been urging my brother to get it back on the road. Last week it finally made it out for a short journey for the first time in about twenty years.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:
Posted by: Beers ()
Date: July 24, 2022 08:21PM

> My Dad has recently been urging my brother to get it back on the road. Last week it finally made it out for a short journey for the first time in about twenty years.

Sweet looking truck! The wood stake bed is very cool.

‘63 Monza Spyder convertible [www.corvairforum.com]
SF Bay Area, CA

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: July 25, 2022 02:01PM

Why not call Jeff at the Corvair Ranch. He's rebuilt a couple for a friend of mine. He might ask you to send him two so he can get the best parts to make one good one. Just a thought

Cliff Tibbitts
Nicholasville, KY
CORSA, CKCE, Derby City Corvairs
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Date: July 25, 2022 03:31PM

TIBCO Wrote:
> Why not call Jeff at the Corvair Ranch. He's rebuilt a couple for a friend of mine. He might ask you to send him two so he can get the best parts to make one good one. Just a thought

Actually, I stopped by there this afternoon fr a visit after going to the body shop Jeff has my Greenbrier at to check progress....It is moving along SLOW but Sure.
I was not sure Jeff did speedometers but it is worth asking. Thanks for the thought.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: July 25, 2022 03:37PM

Beers Wrote:
>
> Sweet looking truck! The wood stake bed is very cool.

The original owner was a cabinet maker who purchased the truck as a cab and chassis.
The stake body that Ford offered at the time did not meet his needs so he built his own.
With the exception of the tongue and groove hardwood floor in the center portion of the bed, everything else is the original wood from 1938.
The wood has been refinished a couple times,once around 1968 when the truck got it's first repaint, then again around 1995 when the truck saw it's second repaint.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: manofsteel ()
Date: July 29, 2022 10:27AM

I have the corsa dash and my speedometer is about 25mph off. Is this something I can fix or have fixed? Also I think I need my tach fixed. We know it’s on the right side of coil but only gets a blip once in a while. Can these be repaired or where to get one that fits corsa dash. Let me know
1965 Monza 140
Jim

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: July 29, 2022 10:56AM

manofsteel Wrote:
> I have the corsa dash and my speedometer is about 25mph off. Is this something I can fix or have fixed? Also I think I need my tach fixed. We know it’s on the right side of coil but only gets a blip once in a while. Can these be repaired or where to get one that fits corsa dash. Let me know
> 1965 Monza 140
> Jim

You can change the speedometer drive gear, but a 25 MPH correction most likely would necessitate a recalibration of the speedometer head. Below is a reliable speedometer rebuilder that I have used most recently and did a great job at a reasonable price. They also do tachometers and other automobile instruments.

[www.williamsons.com]
Williamson's Instruments, Inc.
2018 E. Front Ave.
Chester, Arkansas 72934
Phone(479)369-2551

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: ragreeney ()
Date: July 29, 2022 11:17AM

I sent my 64 Spyder speedo to this company. They did a great job on it. Mine didn't need calibration, but it looks like they do that as well.
Instrument Clusters, Richmond, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.