Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Rear Stabilizing Grommets for Mildly Hot 65 Turbo
Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: July 23, 2022 11:00AM

As I have said before, I am endeavoring to build a stout, mildly hot car for twisty roads, but nothing too crazy. I have the C4 lower trailing arms, Koni shocks from a 67 Camaro set to 1/2 stiffness as a baseline and fairly new, HD rear springs to go with my rebuilt hubs.

As I build up my parts list to reassemble my rear suspension, I'd like to know what people think about the rear stabilizing grommets and the pros and cons of stock rubber vs. urethane from Energy Star or something similar. I will probably not install a rear sway bar, but I want to add some stiffness to the suspension wherever I can.

Also, based on the information I was given a few weeks back about nylon bushings being too stiff for the torque arms of a street car was well taken. Now that urethane is no longer available, I'll install new, stock units. That is, unless someone has a set that they'd like to sell or trade... I looked into custom bushings, but they are way too expensive and I don't have the tooling or experience to confidently make my own.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and encouragement! Though I keep making things more difficult as I slip down the, "While I'm in there," slope, I am building a solid car that will be reliable and fun to drive for years to come, assuming I finish...

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rear Stabilizing Grommets for Mildly Hot 65 Turbo
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: July 23, 2022 11:41AM

Think you would be better served by using Corvair Koni shocks.

Date: July 23, 2022 11:57AM

I suppose I would be better served with the Corvair specific shocks, but I did all four corners for less than $200 and have gotten some very encouraging data from several folks who have done the mod.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Date: August 09, 2022 01:05PM

Completing the rebuild of the rear suspension and I hope that it'll be stiffer than stock but not harsh.

As for the Support rods, should I compress the bushings to the torque arms and chassis bracket, then tighten the bracket down to the cross member? Or, should I reattach the rest of the suspension (lower arms, shocks and spindle) first? I don't want to add any stress to the torque arm by pulling or pushing on it needlessly and it seems as though the anchor point for the rods should be established with the car on the ground in a neutral position. Some of you have dealt with this dozens of times, so I would love to hear about what works best for you!

Thanks 

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: August 09, 2022 01:42PM

Attach the control arm to the bracket; install the bracket (front of wheel well).

Install shock / spring. Install rear strut to arm.

Assume the car is on jack stands; jack the drum / bracket / arm to ride height.

Makes it easier to install stock rear strut bracket to diff case. Same if you have the bracket under the diff.

Install front strut - the suspension needs to be at ride height to install / tighten the inside bracket to the trans cross member.

Date: August 09, 2022 02:00PM

Thank you!

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: 65180 ()
Date: August 10, 2022 12:17PM

I have installed urethane bushings on my stabilizer rods 9 years ago with no downside. My car tracks extremely well in a corner and will stick to the point of tire adhesion breaking do to cornering forces. Once the back does break loose it is very easier to bring it back in line. I am running Clarks HD springs, KYB high pressure shocks, Crown rear sway bar, C4 rods, urethane trailing arm and transmission bushings.

While you are considering using urethane bushings, consider replacing the rubber bushings on the rod that is used to check the shifter tube fore/aft movement with urethane. The shifter assembly is designed to slide on a plastic plate while at the same time bolted to the floorboard. What I did was to bolt the shifter down tight with zero movement, rebuilt the shifter shaft with bronze bushings and installed a nylon filled shifter coupling and installed the urethane bushings on that rod. My shifter throws are precise and positive while feeling like a Hurst Competition Plus 4sp shifter with steel bushing replacing the nylon one. I have driven my friend's L/M's with just new shifter shaft bushings and couplers and the shifter is nowhere near as precise. Once they have driven mine, one of the first comments from them is about how great my shifter feels.

Mike Lake
Tucson, Az
65 Corsa 180
65 Corsa 140 sold
66 Monza PG
66 Monza 4sp sold
61 Lakewood sold
61 La[corvaircenter.com]

Date: August 12, 2022 09:25AM

Thanks again! I was able to get both sides done and except the stabilizer bars, everything is torqued down with new, grade 8 nuts and washers. I ruined a bolt that was holding one of the Corvette lower arms and discovered that I had 9/16th nylock nuts on them instead of 1/2. So glad I caught that one!

With the exception of the transmission mounts, the entire rear suspension is new. Could not have done it without your help! I'll do the brakes when I can steal another moment ASAP!

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Attachments:
Date: August 21, 2022 12:44PM

Now I have another odd quandary. I haven't been able to devote much time to solving the problem since my last post, but I think I will be able to take another look at it tomorrow.

When I reassembled the brakes with the shoes that came with the car, I couldn't help but notice that the shoes sit a little too proud to easily fit the brake drum onto the hub assembly. Both sides are affected, but the passenger side is the worst. The shoes are sprung correctly as far as I can tell--I kept all left and right components separate and the large shoes were installed at the rear and the auto adjuster is at its most narrow setting. A club member suggested that the ill fit might be the result of the parking brake cable. The spring tension was really tight and it was quite difficult to reengage it with the lever, so there may be some truth to it. Has anyone dealt with this problem before?

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: August 21, 2022 05:40PM

I have had this issue with new shoes that are too thick. I had to file the adjuster notches and the shoes a little to make it work. If we are talking about the same thing.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.