Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Re: Brake Parts Cleaner
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: July 22, 2022 06:06AM

I am curious which you will like better.

It appears the Denco uses Naphtha/Acetone and the SQ uses Toluene/Acetone.

In a search:

Naphtha
Naphtha is a solvent that is half as strong as toluene. This substance is used as a general purpose solvent and has various other applications. For instance, naphtha has been used in lighter fluid because of its flammability.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
62' Wagon rebuild MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2022 06:14AM by toms73novass.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 22, 2022 05:54PM

I bought 12 cans of SQ non-chlorinated and 12 cans of Denco non-chlorinated.
SQ has toluene, acetone, methanol, heptane and carbon dioxide.
Denco has acetone, heptane and carbon dioxide.

I mainly use it for cleaning oily and dirty engine parts. They both work well but the Denco evaporates faster, you can hardly pick up a blue paper towel and it's gone, I'm guessing because acetone is the first ingredient.
I think I'm going to buy 36 cans of SQ unless someone says toluene is especially bad for me.

It's interesting that Walmart's cheap brand of brake cleaner doesn't say on the can if it's chlorinated or non-chlorinated and doesn't list the ingredients. I wonder how fast someone at the store could provide me with a MSDS sheet.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2022 05:56PM by JimBrandberg.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 22, 2022 07:15PM

An interesting discussion here:

[www.garagejournal.com]

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 23, 2022 11:43AM

Do you think you can find anyone at Walmart that knows what a MSDS is?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 23, 2022 05:59PM

I'm sure there is a poster in the breakroom explaining where to find the SDSs for the chemicals used by employees! Used to be companies had to have a big binder, now it is a phone number or web address to get the information. Not that any employees pay attention....grinning smiley

Note somewhere in the last few years the M has been dropped from the acronym.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: September 24, 2022 06:54AM

Mopar has a good spray brake cleaner available at all Chrysler Jeep Dealers. Works well and is fairly inexpensive

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 24, 2022 10:42PM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bought 12 cans of SQ non-chlorinated and 12 cans of Denco non-chlorinated.
> SQ has toluene, acetone, methanol, heptane and carbon dioxide.
> Denco has acetone, heptane and carbon dioxide.
>
> I mainly use it for cleaning oily and dirty engine parts. They both work well but the Denco evaporates faster, you can hardly pick up a blue paper towel and it's gone, I'm guessing because acetone is the first ingredient.
> I think I'm going to buy 36 cans of SQ unless someone says toluene is especially bad for me.
>
> It's interesting that Walmart's cheap brand of brake cleaner doesn't say on the can if it's chlorinated or non-chlorinated and doesn't list the ingredients. I wonder how fast someone at the store could provide me with a MSDS sheet.

Toluene is an aromatic hydrocarbon composed of a benzene ring linked to one methyl group. Toluene is used a solvent or as a chemical intermediate in various industrial applications. Rapid inhalation of high concentrations of toluene can cause severe neurological complications.

[pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: September 24, 2022 11:10PM

LOL

Do not think that any chemical (combination) that cleans brake parts (or anything similar) is "good" for humans.

No matter what the PR / marketing states.

A clue - some chemical listed in the thread above was not for use in CA (and other states).

Sort of cringed when using a carb cleaner chemical in the 70's / 80's, but I am still here.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 25, 2022 06:09AM

They drilled into us annually that we should know the term Material Safety Data Sheet in case OSHA should come calling. They never came and I haven't worked there for 11 years but apparently it stuck.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.