Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Brake Parts Cleaner
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: July 17, 2022 05:55AM

A few months ago there was a suggestion for a brake parts cleaner that wasn't so toxic and worked pretty good as a general parts cleaner. It was said to be not as bad for you when the part was heated. I searched and searched but can't find that thread. I use a lot of the cheap stuff from Wal Mart and was reminded that I should upgrade yesterday when they were out.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brake Parts Cleaner
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: July 17, 2022 06:38AM

Maybe this

CRC 05084 BRAKLEEN Brake Parts Cleaner - Non-Chlorinated - 14 Wt Oz

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2022 06:41AM by jjohnsonjo.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: July 17, 2022 08:08AM

I have been very happy with THIS brake cleaner. I usually buy 36 cans at a time, works out to 2.67 a can. I use it to clean everything. (I believe it is mostly acetone in a can, but I find I use less than If I buy a gallon of acetone.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
62' Wagon rebuild MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: PequotMonza64 ()
Date: July 17, 2022 12:03PM

toms73novass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been very happy with THIS brake cleaner. I usually buy 36 cans at a time, works out to 2.67 a can. I use it to clean everything. (I believe it is mostly acetone in a can, but I find I use less than If I buy a gallon of acetone.

Not really from the "not so toxic" category the original poster asked about. This stuff will really clean out your sinuses and your braincase.

From Amazon questions for SQ Brake Cleaner:

Question:
How come their isn't a picture of the back of the can so you can read the contents?
Answer:
Good afternoon, and thanks for your question,
The product contains acetone, heptane, methanol and acetone. The propellant is CO2 Total VOC content is 44.7%, this product is not for use in CA, CT, DE, MD, NH, RI and parts of UT.
We will upload a picture of the back of the can shortly, if you have any further question… see more
By SQ Products of America Seller on April 1, 2021

Question:
How is this around paint, or cerakote, will it strip it when spraying and cleaning?
Answer:
Thanks for the question. This product contains acetone and toluene; acetone is the main ingredient by weight. It will remove most paints. As a matter of fact we know that the product is used in body shops to clean brushes. While there might be paints or finishes that can withstand this product, we would not use it on p… see more
By SQ Products of America Seller on September 8, 2020

Glen in Ohio
1964 Monza Sedan Powerglide 110 hp
Low mileage survivor, stock as delivered
Records back to 1967 in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
Original dealer Mike Turk's in East Liverpool, Ohio
Located in Cleveland, Ohio area

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2022 12:07PM by PequotMonza64.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: July 17, 2022 01:10PM

Ahh, good catch.

Read too quickly and missed about the heated part.

Was thinking about not so toxic because it is not chlorinated as I believe J.O. also was thinking about.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
62' Wagon rebuild MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2022 01:11PM by toms73novass.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: July 17, 2022 01:42PM

I have found that simple green is a great all-around cleaner, and it works even better when heated. It is safe to use but will remove wax if you get it on the painted surfaces. I do brake work outside, where I can spray the brakes before taking them apart with Simple Green, and then pressure wash everything. I have found that it will even remove grease from the brake lining when you have a bad axle seal in a standard differential vehicle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: July 17, 2022 07:35PM

I don't think any of the suggestions so far is what I read about here a few months ago. You'd think I could find it in a search...

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: July 17, 2022 07:42PM

This is what I found doing a Google search.....

[corvaircenter.com]

Try this link, and there are more than 10 pages referring to brakes and brake cleaner.....

[www.google.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 17, 2022 07:58PM

I just picked up "Parts Cleaner" at Walmart, sitting next to the brake parts cleaner. Smells different, dries very slow, slow enough to spray in a can and swirl small parts around in it. Not sure this is what you are looking for.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: July 19, 2022 04:36AM

I thought I read about it here since this is almost the only place I go but perhaps I strayed.
It's said that chlorinated brake cleaner residue can give off a deadly gas when the part is heated like for welding. Since I use it all the time I could easily see myself doing that.
Then the dilemma is finding a non-chlorinated brake cleaner that actually works well for cleaning greasy parts. I hate to buy 36 cans of something to get the price down only to find it doesn't work well.

I like Tom's recommendation for SQ although I'm philosophically opposed to joining Amazon Prime.
I think I was looking at Denco on Ebay before. Anyone tried that?
I use cans and cans of brake cleaner for general cleaning, not all that often on brakes.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: July 19, 2022 05:31AM

I buy what ever is on sale or the cheapest on the self because it's all the same out here in Kalifornia.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: July 19, 2022 05:40AM

Non-chlorinated is the safer version of the two and does not release deadly phosgene gas if any small traces of cleaner remain in cracks or crevices when heating or welding on the parts.

[www.envirofluid.com]

Many companies sell a non-aerosol versions of either type by the gallon or 5-gallon pail if you are okay with rinsing, dunking or spraying with your own setup.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:
Date: July 19, 2022 06:18AM

Apparently the chlorinated contains tetrachloroethylene or perchloroethylene.
I get that stuff on my hands regularly when cleaning parts. I also use it under the powertrain to clean away accumulated oil to try and figure out where a leak may be coming from. I'm breathing it in under there.
I used to use carburetor cleaner all the time but switched to brake cleaner, partly because black shroud paint has a fighting chance.
It looks like California doesn't allow the chlorinated brake cleaner anymore.

It sounds like Simple Green always requires a water rinse. I don't think that will work when cleaning the bottom of the powertrain with a paper towel. If I'm using it to clean parts and have a bowl of rinse water I wonder what to do with that. When I dip carburetors occasionally I spread the rinse water on the dirt road.

When cleaning engine compartments I often use paint thinner on a folded paper towel. Maybe I should be doing that when cleaning underneath. Maybe I should be using paint thinner more often in general.

I use old gas for cleaning greasy parts a lot, like when disassembling a complete engine. I drain old gas from Corvairs regularly, put the so-so stuff in my '97 454 pick-up and use the stinky stuff for cleaning parts.

I think I'm back to finding a non-chlorinated brake cleaner that works good, perhaps something a cut above CRC. Still hoping to hear if Denco is any good.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: July 20, 2022 05:23AM

First thing I did yesterday was breathe in brake parts cleaner fumes cleaning differential side adjuster to determine whether side seal or o-ring was leaking.
Oh curses it's the o-ring...
Brought to mind Apocalypse Now line "I love the smell of napalm in the morning"...
I could put a mixture of gear oil and brake cleaner on my wrist and behind my ear for the come hither scent that lingers even after I've left the room.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 20, 2022 10:01AM

grinning smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling bouncing smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: July 20, 2022 11:27AM

Jim,

I use either one and have the same results cleaning. I just get whichever is on sale. Just as everyone said don't heat or burn the stuff.

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White
1969 Monza Convertible, 110HP-PG, Frost Green

Black Mountain,NC

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 87
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96
02, Chevy Z71, 4x4, 93K miles, my Dad's truck, inherited 2021

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: July 20, 2022 02:16PM

Brake Parts Cleaner seems the most effective cleaner to use. In that regard it is addictive. And like other addictions it can be expensive at $6+ a can that empties quite quickly. My addiction was compounded when K-Mart closed and I got 35 cans for $1 each!

After my withdrawal I have found Paint Thinner to be effective on SOME grime. A number of years back it was $2.19 a gallon and almost overnight jumped up over $10. Home Depot is currently listing it for $18. Acetone works better but that comes at a price. The HD price is $23 a gallon and like Brake Parts Cleaner it evaporates fast. I have mixed Paint Thinner and Acetone in 40/60 and 60/40 ratios. It seems to help keep the Acetone from vaporizing so readily.

I have also found oven cleaner to be effective though the fume free version is less so. Every $1 Store is now $1-Something but I still believe it is typically under $1.50 a can.

For the longest time I did rather well getting solvents FREE at my cities Hazardous Waste Re-Use program. But in the past few years the availability has diminished.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Date: July 21, 2022 11:01AM

Todays opportunity to breathe toxic gas was with a carburetor. I did a little preliminary cleaning with brake cleaner and then used a propane torch on the carb body as part of getting the stuck main jet out.
I've been doing stuff like this for years without even thinking about it.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: July 21, 2022 03:33PM

Mopar makes one of the Best Brake Clean aerosol can cleaner. I buy it by the case from my local Chrysler Dealer. It is very reasonably priced too.

Date: July 22, 2022 05:20AM

I'm going to try non-chlorinated. I've got 12 cans each of SQ and Denso coming for about $3.50 a can. If I decide I like one or the other I can get the price down by buying larger quantities.
I've been paying under $3 a can for the Wal Mart stuff. Actually it doesn't even say chlorinated or non-chlorinated on the can but it does have a cancer warning. When I look online it shows the old labeling which says non-chlorinated so it's possible I was okay to begin with. Maybe I'll be ahead if the brand name stuff works better.

If a main jet is stuck I put a vice grip on the screwdriver handle and push down on the screwdriver with one hand and turn with the other. When doing this I'm leaning my face right over the vise. If shock with a hammer doesn't help I heat the carb base with a propane torch and try again. When doing this I'm also heating a mixture of penetrating oil and brake or carb cleaner, I like to watch it sizzle around the main jet.

So what about spray carburetor cleaner. What's in there compared to brake parts cleaner?
What about WD-40 or ATF/Acetone?
Either of these especially toxic when heated like the chlorinated brake parts cleaner?

At Wal Mart I looked for Parts Cleaner as mentioned above but didn't see anything.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.