Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
carb emulsion tube orientation
Posted by: Saxon ()
Date: July 13, 2022 05:06PM

My RH secondary flooded like a tumbler full of whiskey, ending my 3 day love affair in the canyons of San Jose.

I ended up towing the car home and found nothing unusual upon carb disassembly beyond slightly elevated float height - 1 & 1/16".

The emulsion tube was loose after soaking in cleaner overnight. I pulled it out and forgot to note the proper 180 degree orientation.

In photo, the tallest hole in the emulsion tube is not cross drilled. Does this mean it should open to the venturi clusters like shown in the picture and what about the depth of insertion. Appears 1/4" of the receiving cylinder is present before it opens to vents and passage to spider cluster.

In addition to alignment of floats, buoyancy, float level, has anyone experienced fuel inlet needles sticking open due to high g-turning forces.

Northern CA
66 Monza Coupe 4-spd 140

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2022 05:09PM by Saxon.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carb emulsion tube orientation
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 13, 2022 05:40PM

Perforations, front to rear. The tube should measure 1" after installation.
Also, check the cluster gasket face for flat before reinstalling the tubes.
Many are severely warped. They can be hand milled with a piece of plate glass
and 400 grit sand paper wet'd with WD40.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: July 13, 2022 05:49PM

Saxon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> In addition to alignment of floats, buoyancy, float level, has anyone experienced fuel inlet needles sticking open due to high g-turning forces.

No - and racers / autocrossers generate more force than you are generating on the street.

Did you check the seat before installing?

Over the past long while, I have come across a couple seats where the hole in the bottom is flawed / imperfect. I toss them.

Date: July 13, 2022 06:12PM

The top hole is not cross drilled and is only open on the side you can see. Does it go in the picture orientation or rotate it 180 degrees?

Northern CA
66 Monza Coupe 4-spd 140

Date: July 13, 2022 06:36PM

Towards the "arms".

Also check that the floats are centered in the wells

Date: July 13, 2022 09:05PM

Thank you for the tips and notes, especially checking the cluster flatness.

I did find something I think may be significant. The diameter of the seat hole is visibly larger than the all replacements in my stash. Maybe it does not matter because the tapered black soft tip would sit deeper.

The finer things you all mentioned were not in Helt's book or in FAQ's. Are they in the tech volumes?

Northern CA
66 Monza Coupe 4-spd 140

Date: July 14, 2022 12:34AM

Saxon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> The diameter of the seat hole is visibly larger than the all replacements in my stash. Maybe it does not matter because the tapered black soft tip would sit deeper.
>

Testing my old memory...

Vaguely recall a seat or two with the larger hole. Assume it was differences in manufacturer's.

For whatever reason (one of my quirks?), I have always used the seats with the smaller hole - and tossed the ones with the larger hole. Figured it was better if they all matched?

More memory: The other seats, the hole was jagged - not round and the "bevel" was not correctly formed.

I have not used Clark's kits, but the last time I ordered the ones I use, the auto part store could only find 3 of them in northern California.

Coventure Dave: He has posted pictures in a couple threads here on the cluster gasket surface.

Personally, I have not checked. But, I have not checked my clusters because I have not had leakage. Guess over the decades, I have not overtightened the clusters too much?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2022 12:38AM by RobertC.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 15, 2022 07:02PM

The hole in the seat can cause problems. The larger the hole the harder the floats have to push on the needle to stop the fuel so the large hole is going to be less tolerant of high fuel pressure. Of course the balance is a small enough hole that the fuel is under control without being too small to keep up with engine demands.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 16, 2022 09:06PM

I've never seen inlet seat issues and I've rebuilt hundreds of carburetors. I can see where not having a smooth beveled surface would be an issue for sealing.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.