Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
My damper door pin fell out during a drive
Posted by: Saxon ()
Date: July 11, 2022 07:18PM

I bought a replacement at Clarks, but I am trying to think what would have pulled it out. There was plenty of tension on the rod springs after following shop manual adjustment instructions.

Hmm, it's possible that it snapped.

Northern CA
66 Monza Coupe 4-spd 140

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My damper door pin fell out during a drive
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: July 11, 2022 07:54PM

Feeble.memory is that there is a metal tab that folded over the head of the pin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2022 08:02PM by RobertC.

Posted by: Corvair Frank ()
Date: July 11, 2022 08:47PM

Right, there is a tab that folds over the head of the pin. After several fold/unfolds the tab breaks off. I use a small sheet metal screw and larger washer to substitute for the tab. You must put the screw in a place where it does NOT stop the movement of the damper door.

Frank DuVal

Operating under an alias while someone answers why after being accused of sending Spam while responding to a message this computer will no longer log into my original account.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2022 08:47PM by Corvair Frank.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 11, 2022 11:01PM

I have taken a tubing cutter and made a grove around the pin. Then I use an E-ring as a retainer in the pin grove. It holds like the throttle rod on the transmission. Makes for a real clean fix.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Colorsarge ()
Date: July 12, 2022 03:06AM

Great fix, Dave

Frankford, De., eight miles north of Ocean City, Md.
1966 Corsa convt.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 12, 2022 05:57AM

I will try that. thumbs up

The screw works but looks bad.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: July 12, 2022 06:00AM

corventure Dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have taken a tubing cutter and made a grove around the pin. Then I use an E-ring as a retainer in the pin grove.

I do similar but used a small Dremel disc to make the groove in the rod. I've also seen a cross-drilled hole and a cotter key used.

I got lazy on the last one. When the retaining tab broke I used a strong little Neodymium magnet to hold the pin until I do the E-clip trick.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: July 12, 2022 04:03PM

If you want a stock look and have some of these door panel fasteners you can make a nice clean repair. I posted this repair on this forum March 7 2015 using Clarks LM door fasteners.

I believe these are also available as a Dorman product and other vendors at flaps.

The current part is available from Extreme Amazing part number XA09225525 on Amazon.

The text as follows, sorry photos long gone at photobucket.

These fasteners are the folded metal type and not the white spherical ones.

"I wanted the repair to look factory, without pop rivets or screws and I literally stumbled onto this idea.

The factory tang broke off clean on housing so I drilled two small holes side by side creating a slot at the location of broken tab. These fasteners were from a Clarks door panel kit. These fasteners area also available aftermarket as listed above.

I flattened the triangular section of the clip that normally goes in hole and broke it in half, saving the folded section

Drilled two small hole, side by side, at the location of the broken factory tang on thermostat housing and inserted the bent leg of new fastener at about 45 degree angle and inserted into the drilled two small holes. The folded section holds neatly against the housing.

Finished repair looks like this.

Jimc
1965 Corsa Coupe, two owner history

HACOA Member
CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Posted by: Saxon ()
Date: July 12, 2022 04:33PM

Thank you for the ideas, All!

Northern CA
66 Monza Coupe 4-spd 140

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.