Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
I just saw carbs problems don't look good
Posted by: GioGio ()
Date: July 07, 2022 04:31PM

Hi its me again the new guy that is trying to repair stuff from the previous owner ... i was smelling a little sent of gaz and like i told you before there are wierd noise coming out of ma right carbs and in the same time it feel like a misfire( instantpower lost ) and for the sound(sound like a booping noise mixed with air noise) so i started to examine and i saw that there is gaz coming out off the shaft that move when you press the throttle part, i i saw that someone tried to welde the small piece that move with the shaft and it look like a mess and its really loose probably one carb open before the other one, wonder if its not that that make my carb make that wierd noise and the lost of power that feel like a misfire. If someone can help me and tell me where i can get that part that is badly weld and the shaft that leak.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I just saw carbs problems don't look good
Date: July 07, 2022 04:40PM

There some pictures

Attachments:

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: July 07, 2022 04:52PM

Where do you live? Depending on your skill level might be better getting a few correct cores and rebuilding?

That welded part might cause slop but anything more and it's going to be an adventure.

Date: July 07, 2022 05:17PM

I live in canada new brunswick probably gonna have to order it from clarks i am new to carbs but the rest i am good i am use to work on car ! ????

Date: July 07, 2022 05:34PM

And i have a car show this weekend is it dangerous to drive the car for a small distance with the small fuel leak?

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 07, 2022 07:31PM

Someone brazed the throttle shaft to the belcrank, a common issue (loose belcrank) and common repair. You say the repair has already failed, not unusual either. Clarks sells new throttle shafts to really fix this issue.

The fuel leaking out of the throttle shaft is not so much a problem with a loose shaft in the carburetor base, but a high fuel level in the float bowl. This may be from a sticking needle/seat/float or mis adjusted float (not usual if the carburetor had been running fine since the last rebuild). Try tapping gently on the top of the carburetor near the fuel inlet line. This may unstick the needle/seat/float.

No one is going to say it is OK to drive with a small fuel leak, as any fuel is a possible fire. sad smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: July 07, 2022 07:36PM

Shaft could be worn - as well as bore in carb.

You need a good replacement lever, also.

If you decide to replace the carb, you need to match the other carb.

Need Bob Helt's book on Rochester Carbs (Clark's - possibly others).

Date: July 08, 2022 01:08AM

Can a loose belcrank cause some symptoms like the noise i ear and the feeling when it make the noise it make a jerking feeling?

Posted by: cfmann ()
Date: July 08, 2022 08:11AM

giogio:
can you take a video with a cell phone of the car running?
can you upload that video to you tube?
can you share video by posted link here?
pictures/videos are worth a thousand words.
-chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.