Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
WTB Nylon Torque Arm Bushings
Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: July 05, 2022 03:24PM

Another one of those, “While I’m in there,” kind of moments… I’m rebuilding my rear hubs and noticed that my torque arm bushings are mismatched and cracked. I’d like to upgrade to nylon, but Clark’s informed me that since they lost their supplier (Lon Wall?) they haven’t had them and don’t expect to find another source anytime soon. Does anyone have a set they’d like to sell or can you point me to a vendor? California Corvair’s site says that they have them, but there’s something wonky with their interface, and I can’t check out. They aren’t picking up the phone either, so they may be on vacation, which means I may have to wait a little while.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTB Nylon Torque Arm Bushings
Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: July 05, 2022 06:51PM

You might think twice about putting a hard nylon bushing in that location. Those bushings have to twist when the suspension travels up and down and nylon does not twist very well. They will bind and put added stress on the torque arm and give a harsher ride. For longevity, a urethane bushing with similar to stock durometer is a much better choice or just use stock rubber. If you want added performance, a spherical bushing like a johnny joint is a great upgrade, especially when you replace every bushing in the car that has to twist.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: July 06, 2022 04:17AM

Don’t forget to tighten the rubber bushing at ride height smiling smiley

1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1998 Honda Prelude Dirt track car
1967 Crown V8 under construction
Mike Levine
Cumming Georgia
North of Atlanta

Date: July 06, 2022 08:09AM

Mike,

Please elaborate. I haven’t done this before. Also does anyone have a source for Polyurethane bushings? If not, it looks like stock is the way to go.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: July 06, 2022 09:33AM

What Mike is saying is after you install the bushings, just bolt them snug. Then have the car at ride height and then torque the nuts to spec. You don’t want to tighten them with the suspension at its lowest point of travel, otherwise the bushing is “in neutral” at its lowest possible point of travel, it needs to twist up and down equally.

Date: July 06, 2022 10:29AM

Ok, so it’s the same principle as when I reassembled my turbo intake and exhaust manifolds. I kept everything loose until I made all of my connections and then slowly torqued everything down together.

That said, I’ll connect everything and jack the drum up a bit to set the neutral point and tighten the the torque arm, lower strut and shock down. Or, should I wait to fully tighten everything with the wheels on the ground?

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: July 06, 2022 10:34AM

I do not consider Nylon and upgrade for this location in a street car. (If you are talking about the front-tip of the rear trailing arm.) Actually, I can't think of a good "Nylon" location anywhere on a street car. If you are talking about the camber-adjusting arms that connect the trailing arm to the differential, then the press-in rubber bushings may be the best solution. Yes, In a number of years, the inner rubber will likely turn to mush and need replacement. But that number is likely two digits, unless your diff or trans is leaking a bunch. I think the best solution was the "poured-in-place" Urethane the Corvair underground offered, but was originally from Otto Parts, as I recall. The only issue with that was getting arms returned to keep a production line going. I wish someone would get that back into production.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site: [www.perfvair.com]

Located in lovely San Jose, California

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: July 07, 2022 05:04AM

One more thing, they do generate noise through the body, at least they did when also using him joint lower control arms.

They also require a tapered inner sleeve to allow proper movement, Bob Coffin used to sell these, and I think supplied Clarks with them some time back.

Date: July 07, 2022 10:25AM

Ok thank you! Since urethane is no longer available and experience states that nylon is not a good choice for my application, I’ll likely go with stock. However, I may find something from Lon Wall’s stash at the Camano Island sale this weekend. Fingers crossed! I’d like a set of forged pistons and some spare turbo parts.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: Gatorfly ()
Date: July 07, 2022 11:30PM

jazzworkerbee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok thank you! Since urethane is no longer available and experience states that nylon is not a good choice for my application, I’ll likely go with stock. However, I may find something from Lon Wall’s stash at the Camano Island sale this weekend. Fingers crossed! I’d like a set of forged pistons and some spare turbo parts.

What sale on Camano? Was it advertised? I’ll be in the area on Saturday and would like to check it out if possible.

San Juan Islands, WA

1966 Corsa Coupe 180/4 Marina Blue/Blue

Date: July 08, 2022 09:00AM

PM sent.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.