Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
electric fuel pump question
Posted by: NC65Corsa ()
Date: July 04, 2022 04:22PM

My car has an electric fuel pump. When I turn the ignition on the pump come on with a little noise. Good so I know it is running. If I drive the car and get it warm. If I stop, and turn the car off, go into a store, whatever. Sometimes, not every time when I hit the switch, the pump is much louder. After a hundred yards or so, then it becomes quiet. Sometimes, same little noise letting me know it is working.

Anyone have this happen with their fuel pump ?? No issue, seems to run fine for me.

Re: electric fuel pump question
Posted by: Monzaguy110 ()
Date: July 04, 2022 04:30PM

The loud noise you hear when you turn it on might be it self priming, should stop after a few seconds. If noisy when driving, check to make sure you have a rubber insulator between pump and where ever its mounted to, and its tightly mounted.

1965 Monza Convertible

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 04, 2022 07:02PM

It is pushing fuel up to the empty lines in the engine compartment (due to vapor lock that happens when you go into the store for a few minutes and the heat from the engine boils the fuel in the lines since the fan is no longer drawing fresh cooler air across the engine), so it is normal operation.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: July 05, 2022 04:55AM

Thanks gentlemen for the answers. I think Frank is spot on as it does not seem to be prevalent in the colder months. Monzaguy was great build as well. Thanks guys.

Date: July 25, 2022 02:46PM

I have a bit of a follow-up for you experts if you do not mind.

Yesterday was very hot so this happened when I stopped for a couple minutes.

It made me think two thoughts. One is would this also happen nowadays because of the gasoline now made - with a original mechanical fuel pump???

Would some type of insulation around the fuel lines keep the lines cooler? That one is just a thought.

If I know this will happen would it be possible to engage the pump and pump the accelerator before starting??? (that I don't think will work)

You expert advice is appreciated. I am fine with it, just annoying.

Date: July 31, 2022 07:36PM

It does happen with the original mechanical pump, and then the only way to get the car running after it stalls leaving the parking lot is to put ice on the pump and cool it down. BTDT

Since you have the electric pump in line, it can run and force fuel through the hot lines. That is a good thing, no more stalling leaving the parking lot. No need for insulation, it is doing fine.

Turning the key on and not turning to start for maybe 10-15 seconds will prime the fuel system. Pumping the accelerator will flood a hot engine, do not do this.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: July 31, 2022 07:40PM

Also check how the pump is mounted. There may be a way to use rubber to remount the pump so it does not rattle the "frame" so much.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.