Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
What is this extra green wire around near my coil?
Posted by: Saxon ()
Date: July 03, 2022 03:39PM

This green wire has 12.4 volts when I switched the ignition on. It traces back to the main plug on the LH side firewall.

The yellow one connects to the positive on my coil.

This green wire's connector leads down the engine sheet metal to rubber grommet and of course then disappears under the sheet metal. The oil pressure sensor wire also goes into the same rubber grommet.

My recollection is poor and I don't read the electric diagrams well. I cannot recall if this wire was connected before I removed the unipak.

Northern CA
66 Monza Coupe 4-spd 140

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is this extra green wire around near my coil?
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 03, 2022 03:53PM

Someone may have left it there for use with a tach.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: July 03, 2022 04:01PM

Oil pressure wire should attach to the oil pressure switch next to the oil fill tube.

The other wire (green?) should go to the head temp switch (idiot light) in the pass side head.

Best guess I can come up with. If both witches are connected; then, I have no clue.

Posted by: Monzaguy110 ()
Date: July 03, 2022 04:27PM

Agree, should be the head temp switch.

1965 Monza Convertible

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 03, 2022 07:19PM

Was this originally a turbo car? I know you say Monza, so turbo was NOT an option, but separate oil pressure and temperature switch leads is usually only on a turbo harness.

Idiot light wires to switches would have +12 on them, as it is voltage supplied through the lamp, which makes the lamp light when the switch closes to ground.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: July 03, 2022 09:07PM

When I plug the green wire to its connector and switch ignition key to ON, the red temp light is illuminated on dash.

I dont think it was a turbo car based on block stamping.

Northern CA
66 Monza Coupe 4-spd 140

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: July 03, 2022 11:24PM

It’s supposed to be blue. Maybe it faded.

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: July 03, 2022 11:33PM

It might supposed to be blue, but the one in my '67 looks green also.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: July 04, 2022 12:39AM

Saxon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I plug the green wire to its connector and switch ignition key to ON, the red temp light is illuminated on dash.
>

Do the idiot lights go off when the engine is running?

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: July 04, 2022 05:31AM

Unless you have a 140 or a turbo that will be the overheat and oil press idiot light wire.

There should be a mating connector laying down sort of under the distributor with a double wire coming out of it, one wire goes to the overheat switch on the head and the other goes to the oil pressure switch. That is why the light is labeled temp/pressure.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: July 04, 2022 09:32AM

I do have a 140, non turbo.

I cannot see if the oil/temp light goes OFF because the car will not start, but that's another issue which I will post about today. But, I don't recall the oil pressure light/temp light ever lit in my brief ownership and it certainly matches a note I taped to the wire during unipak removal, "This wire was not connected."

Below the distributor is a grommet where both cloth wires submerge into the engine block. Yes, one wire is connected to the top of oil pressure switch at the delcotron adaptor.

Related question: Why cloth wires, does it provide resistance like the one used to step down coil voltage after initial start?

Regarding that mating connector, Ken. The mating connector no longer has two wires in it. The one for the oil pressure switch one has been removed/cut and re-routed. This would make sense because there is no slack and it barely is able to make the connection at the oil switch. So, I think this is the answer to my original question about the green wire.

Also, I don't recall the oil pressure light/temp light ever going on since my brief ownership and it certainly matches a note taped to the wire during unipak removal, "This wire was not connected."

Northern CA
66 Monza Coupe 4-spd 140

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 04, 2022 07:52PM

The OIL/TEMP light should not light when you pull the wire off the oil pressure switch.

The light should light with the engine not running and the ignition switch is on.

The cloth cover is a high temperature insulation, as these wires go right next to the exhaust manifold.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.