Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
FC Clutch Travel
Posted by: corvairsince70 ()
Date: June 27, 2022 07:19PM

Anybody have any tricks to get more travel from the clutch pedal on a '62 van. Van has a new Clark's clutch cable. But cannot seem to get enough travel to disengage the clutch. If I adjust tight enough to get release, the clutch fork is tight on the throwout bearing.
Any hints?

Re: FC Clutch Travel
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 27, 2022 08:40PM

I had fits with one a long time ago. I had to put some washers under the clutch fork pivot to get it working correctly.
Are your engine and transmission mounts in good shape? The powertrain might be shifting around when you try to disengage the clutch.
The stop that was added to keep them from popping out of gear could help since it limits fore/aft transaxle movement.
Just guessing on these last idea. I'm not even sure they would help since I've never looked at one with that in mind.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2022 08:42PM by joelsplace.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 27, 2022 09:20PM

Clarks was out of the second generation clutch cables, did they get some in now?

I got a first generation cable last year, it had a cardboard tag with string for the Clarks part number and was Made in Israel. Seems like that part had been on the shelf for a while!

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: idiyaught ()
Date: June 28, 2022 04:54AM

When I installed mine, the casing end did not fit in the front bracket properly. Don't remember what the fix was but needed tools I don't carry with me.

John Oostdyk
Thornhill, Ont
63 Rampy
65 Greenbrier
64 Convertible

Posted by: Danthesignman ()
Date: June 28, 2022 07:39AM

I have the same problem , following .

Winterset , Iowa

If You tell the truth , You don`t have to remember what You said .

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: June 28, 2022 07:52AM

If the cable is traveling from the point of the pedal being all the way up to all the way down, you don't have a cable problem. There has to be an issue with the clutch or fork. Some discs are too thick and will cause this issue.

Posted by: idiyaught ()
Date: June 28, 2022 09:38AM

just checked the problem I had was the casing by the front clamp was able to move in the clamp.

John Oostdyk
Thornhill, Ont
63 Rampy
65 Greenbrier
64 Convertible

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 28, 2022 07:54PM

Now that you mention it, the last new second generation FC cable I installed I also didn't like the fit in front. It's been about five years and I just don't remember what the trouble was exactly or what I did about it.
There's been a few thicker than .330 clutch discs lately that are hard to get to release to get the thing in gear. One thing to do is tighten up the freeplay for a while until the disc wears down a bit, maybe help it wear more with some uphill slipping.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.