Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Order of assembly: Engine-Diff-Trans ?
Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: June 23, 2022 02:29PM

Is it best to:

1. First attach the differential and Powerglide together (to get the convertor properly set)..., and then install that to the engine?

OR

2. Install the differential/convertor to the engine and then install the Powerglide (with its long shaft)?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Order of assembly: Engine-Diff-Trans ?
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: June 23, 2022 02:31PM

Trans axle as an assembly to the engine is how I did it.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 23, 2022 08:56PM

It's sorta six of one half a dozen of the other as far as I'm concerned. I would probably put the torque convertor on the differential and then present that to the engine with guide studs having one of the 3 TC to flex plate connections visible in the window. That way you're only wiggling the TC nub into the crankshaft end, getting a few bell housing to differential bolts in and then doing the 3 TC to flex plate connections. I get those almost tight and then go around a second time to tighten them.
It's good to check the 3 TC captured nuts to make sure they easily accept the 3/8-24 bolt ahead of time and that they are secure in their cage. It's a pisser to get almost done and have one of those bolts be difficult to start through the little window with your fingertips. Especially if there's mosquitos or someone watching..

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 23, 2022 09:03PM

If you are as good as Jim it may be no problem but if you are a mere mortal you need to put the transmission on the differential, install the converter all the way in and then put the transaxle on the engine. You MUST be sure the converter has engaged all splines before mating the engine and transaxle. Keep checking as they go together that the converter is loose. If done correctly you'll have to pull the converter toward the flex plate to bolt it up.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 136 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: June 24, 2022 02:42PM

I've decided to go ahead with the PG to Diff attachment and then attach that assembly to the engine. My main concern is getting the convertor on properly. It would seem easy enough to get some things mis-aligned and pop the clip off the inner shaft that retains the rear pump washer. Doing the PG to Diff first allows me to gently get the convertor placed.

I do appreciate Jim B's reminder to check the convertor nuts. As always, greatly appreciate the advice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 24, 2022 06:36PM

As long as you make sure the converter doesn't tighten up before the transaxle is completely mated to the engine you'll be fine. Check to make sure the converter slides into the crank snout smoothly before you put it on the transaxle. I've seen some tight ones.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 136 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 24, 2022 08:15PM

I misunderstood your original question. I would mate the PG to the differential and then put the TC on the differential and then mate that whole thing to the engine.
I like having the engine on wood blocks on the floor so it doesn't roll away.
I like sliding the differential together on my robust steel bench with one of them up against the vise.
I used to lift a differential and transmission myself but not anymore, hate to bust a nut.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.