Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Just realized i have a turbo charge engine without the turbo why?
Posted by: GioGio ()
Date: June 22, 2022 02:34PM

I just realized thanks to you guys on the forums that my corvair monza 1966 have a turbo engine from older model ,so the guy that had the car before me swap the engine remove the turbo put camshaft and put a double exhaust and headers. I am trying to understand why he did that and i lost the phone number of the guy that i bought the car frome ???? any advice what to do ? Do you think i can put the car turbocharge again? Cause i have the turbo and everything that i bought from someone else.

Attachments:

Re: Just realized i have a turbo charge engine without the turbo why?
Posted by: GioGio ()
Date: June 22, 2022 02:42PM

Vien of the engine

Attachments:
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: June 22, 2022 03:24PM

You have a "turbo" block, what the inside of the engine is, is yet to be determined. You can build a non-turbo block into being a turbo block also, but in reality, if your car isn't a turbo body, why bother. There is a lot more to a turbo car than just the engine. If you want a turbo car, you will be much better off just buying the real thing rather than trying to build one out of parts. In the old days they were referred to as "clones", today they call them "tribute" cars. No matter what you call it is will always be something other than an original.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Bali ()
Date: June 22, 2022 03:38PM

Is that a turbo fan you have?

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 22, 2022 04:36PM

The fan is the 62-63 steel fan found on every Corvair from those years.

Many reasons why someone took the turbo off and just used the "long block" with 2 carburetors.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: June 22, 2022 04:45PM

Do you have the cut out GM put in the LM turbo cars? Arrow points to location.

Attachments:
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: June 22, 2022 05:16PM

You live in an area with not many Corvairs / Corvair parts.

A resourceful person assembled an engine with parts he had available - without using a shop manual from the looks of your engine.

Date: June 23, 2022 12:41AM

Further thoughts:

The number on the head (picture you posted) indicates a 62 - 63 turbo head.

Further indication is the passenger side head on your engine.

There is a rubber hose extending from the "base" of the head / carb - plugged by a screw.

Turbo heads had a fitting for a hose that "feed" a vacuum gauge in the dash and this appears to be that fitting.

"Technically", this head should be on the driver's side of the engine.

Do not really know turbo engines, but I believe that they do not have a balance tube that I referenced in a previous post.

Since this appears to be an EM turbo engine, the sheet metal on the engine is totally different from the sheet metal on a LM engine - which is probably why it is missing.

You have a lot of work (and research) to do to sort all this out.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: June 23, 2022 10:45AM

RobertC Wrote:

>
> There is a rubber hose extending from the "base" of the head / carb - plugged by a screw.
>
> Turbo heads had a fitting for a hose that "feed" a vacuum gauge in the dash and this appears to be that fitting.
>
> "Technically", this head should be on the driver's side of the engine.
>

...except that head HAS the Turbo Oil Drain, behind the carb - so its the correct passenger side turbo head.

Eric P
DeWitt, IA

Date: June 23, 2022 12:05PM

No one has addressed WHY yet...

Why? likely because stock Turbo Carbs are pains in the rear, unless in excellent condition, and dialed in. Lots of 'expensive' parts in the turbo, if things go south - so swapping to dual carbs is an easy way out.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Date: June 24, 2022 01:13AM

isucorvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No one has addressed WHY yet...
>
> Why? likely because stock Turbo Carbs are pains in the rear, unless in excellent condition, and dialed in. Lots of 'expensive' parts in the turbo, if things go south - so swapping to dual carbs is an easy way out.
>
>
> Eric P.
> DeWitt, IA

I thought I did with this post?

You live in an area with not many Corvairs / Corvair parts.

A resourceful person assembled an engine with parts he had available - without using a shop manual from the looks of your engine.

Date: June 24, 2022 04:43AM

RobertC Wrote:
>
> I thought I did with this post?
>
> You live in an area with not many Corvairs / Corvair parts.
>
> A resourceful person assembled an engine with parts he had available - without using a shop manual from the looks of your engine.

Ha - oops, you definitely did. Guess I need to read, rather than skim smiling smiley

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 24, 2022 05:19AM

When you think about it a turbo engine with Rochesters might not be such a bad way to go. Low compression means you can run it on regular 87 gas. More of a cam probably doesn't hurt anything.
It's sort of the opposite of the 84 HP where they took the low RPM cam and bolted on the higher compression heads.
One other piece of evidence is PCV tube, 62 probably had road draft tube. Hopefully you have a LM ported orifice to control the vacuum since I don't see a PCV valve. I can't tell where the vacuum hose is going to but the big end looks to be properly going to an air cleaner.
With the heads and fan you probably have a 145 cubic inch engine there. I can't tell what the crankshaft pulley is. The used the same YR designation for the '64 164 cubic inch engine. Usually you can tell from the outside by whether the crankcase has 3 reinforcing ribs ahead of #5 cylinder.
You could have any combination of parts there. Out of curiosity I wonder how much compression a guy would get with 64 crankshaft, cylinders and pistons with 63 8/1 heads on top?
Turbo heads have no provision for choke rods so the choke pull-offs I see have nothing to do.
It would behoove you to figure out exactly what you have there starting with Early 145 or Late 164 cubic inch crankshaft.
Last but not least I wonder what distributor is in there and what the initial timing is set to.
Sometimes a mutt of a certain mix can be a really good dog.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: June 24, 2022 05:33AM

I just remembered a recent mutt story.

A fellow had a seemingly EM turbo engine in a LM Corsa that was in there when he bought it. He said that it ran pretty good but didn't have much power and never made any boost. I built a LM turbo engine for him and his buddy took the EM to maybe rebuild as a spare for his 63.
When he took it apart he found that it had LM pistons in conjunction with a EM crankshaft and EM heads. I don't really know what the numbers are but I can imagine he had like 5/1 compression ratio.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: June 24, 2022 08:08AM

My own engine block is an "RX," but everything else about it is LM Turbo, with a few upgrades. I know, I bought everything that is in there or on there, and then had an expert friend assemble it just last month.

Why would I do that? Well, I wanted the engine to be finished sometime before the Second Coming, and that can be how long it takes to find an available "RH" block. Also, I kind of get a kick out of the thought of having a "sleeper" engine, that looks like it might be a Frankenstein, but isn't. I was fortunate that the car already had most of the proper shrouds and tubes and cutouts for a turbo.

Bottom line, Corvair owners do these type of things for all sorts or reasons. The cars are a reflection of their owners--More than any other classic car in my opinion.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: June 24, 2022 09:52AM

I have a RL block used in the turbo charged engines for 65 & 66. #T0202RL.

Selling block and completely assembled engine, minus turbo, carb & pipes. $1400 Ken Hnad ran it before I bought it. It has been enclosed in tarp and stored in my garden equipment storage shed.

[corvaircenter.com]

Just come get it at my home near Savannah,GA and load it up after paying me $1400. Easy to move around on the HF furniture dolly.

Date: June 24, 2022 08:57PM

Back in the day when folks were giving away Corvairs it was somewhat common to build a high performance engine starting with a crankcase from something like a 95 PG, figuring it probably had an easy first life. Numbers? I don't care about no stinking numbers...

I was the last owner of several Corvairs, lots of miles commuting. Strangely some of them were different colors and years but had the same VIN and license plate numbers.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.