Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
QS
Posted by: jfreez ()
Date: June 22, 2022 01:30PM

I am trying to learn as much as I can about quick steering. I found a set of NOS QS arms that should be showing up in a couple of days.

How much improvement will I see with just the arms?

does anybody have the part numbers for a QS box?

can a standard box be converted? with what part numbers?

I understand it will cause my turn radius to go up and take more effort to turn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: QS
Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: June 22, 2022 01:53PM

Search for quick steering- you shoud find a thread with the answer that the arms alone can reduce lock to lock about 3/4 of a turn over standard arms and std. box- the QS box and QS arms can reduce lock to lock to 3.5 turns. Std. arms and std. box is about 5+ turns.

"A sign of great intelligence is being able to say 'I don't know'"
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe
Located 25 miles East of Rochester, NY

Posted by: jfreez ()
Date: June 22, 2022 03:01PM

I have searched several threads and most of the info is about the arms and the driving difference. I still would like to find some part numbers specific to the box.

I usually find a lot of part number info on gmpartswiki, but it is running slow for me. (maybe the guys in I.T. don't want me spending so much time there) smiling smiley

Posted by: edconnolly ()
Date: June 22, 2022 04:22PM

The parts unique to the quick box--worm gear, ball nut, ball guides--are long, long gone new. You could probably convince someone to sell an intact QS box in good condition but it would be expensive.

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: June 22, 2022 06:11PM

The only part number you would find, is for the housing itself, not the completed assembly.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: June 22, 2022 06:43PM

Without turning the input shaft lock to lock, there is no way to ID the quick OEM box externally. Maybe there was a color blotch applied when new - some 60 years ago. The factory quicker arms, used whenever the quick box was specified do a portion of the job of making the overall steering quicker, maybe 15-20%? Remember that the term "lock-to-lock" has to be referenced whether in the car or not installed. When installed in the car, the stop on the steering arm - hitting the end of the caster strut - determines the end of the travel. The box may or may not be at the end of "it's" travel.

Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: June 23, 2022 04:38PM

I've used factory short arms on several cars and both the QS box & arms on others. The arms alone reduce lock to lock from about 5-1/4 turns to about 4. I find this to suit my preference without much change in steering effort. With the QS box lock to lock should be about 3-1/2 turns, but the effort seems to be more noticeable. Effort also depends on tire width. I use 195 width on mine, which is not very difficult to turn. On my car with the QS arms and box, I find it helps if you start rolling a little before trying to turn sharply. Also if you use a smaller aftermarket steering wheel effort increases.

Wade Lanning

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.