Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Engine Vibration in 64 Monza
Posted by: rexbc ()
Date: June 22, 2022 08:23AM

Hi, Gang,

I would love your opinion on an issue with my '64 Monza. At idle with the car in gear there is an objectionable amount of vibration. This will stop if I manually idle the car up or if I take the car out of gear. Some of the vibration is coming from the decklid baffling, but I see no cracked or lose mounts or any thing that would cause the vibration or cause it to cease when I up the idle somewhat.

The same vibration is very objectionable when I have the air conditioning running, but my fast idle solenoid is not working.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Rex

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Engine Vibration in 64 Monza
Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: June 22, 2022 09:58AM

Insure that the idle speeds are correct. The rear mount may be worn and resting on the safety bar.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 22, 2022 12:43PM

Are you sure it isn't missing at low RPM?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 135 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Colorsarge ()
Date: June 22, 2022 02:59PM

Is this a vibration (feeling) or vibration (rattle or noise). I'm thinking noise because you mentioned deck lid. Or both?

Frankford, De., eight miles north of Ocean City, Md.
1966 Corsa convt.

Posted by: rexbc ()
Date: June 22, 2022 06:57PM

Hi, I guess I should have said that there is a vibration from the engine compartment, not necessarily the engine itself. It goes away above a certain rpm and also, especially, when the engine is out of gear. The worst is when the a/c is on, but something is vibrating badly at idle. When I lift the decklid, some of it goes away, so I know that is 50% of the problem, but going over everything carefully, I cannot find any other source of a vibration rattlling.

How can I repair the decklid rattle? It seems to be between the outer skin and the inner support. Thanks, guys, for your help! Rex

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: June 23, 2022 10:24AM

The rear engine mount may look good but if you unbolt it it may fall apart as did on my 64 , replacing the mount cured my vibration

1965 Crown V8 Racer
1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1979 Mazda RX7

Mike Levine

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 23, 2022 01:14PM

Check to be sure the exhaust tip isn't hitting the body.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 135 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: June 23, 2022 01:36PM

I have found loose generators on the early cars that will vibrate while under load while sitting. What happens is the rubber cushion on the outer end frame to head bracket fails and the generator is no longer supported on that end aand either becomes loose on the two bolts to end frame at pulley or sometimes one of the ears on the pulley end frame will break and allow the movement. Occasionally the ear on the mount on the engine will fail instead.

Just another place for you to look. See if you can move the generator up and down with engine off then watch generator while idle in gear.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.