Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Dripping from Carb Clusters
Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: June 21, 2022 04:35AM

Helping a club member with a pair of vendor-rebuilt carbs (1965). Looking down the venturi with the engine off after running an electric fuel pump (4 psi) there is dripping from both clusters. I took one of the carbs apart and didn't see anything out of line except for one missing lock washer on one of the screws for the cluster. The screws were tight - but still dripping. Any indeas??

Re: Dripping from Carb Clusters
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 21, 2022 05:53AM

I'd say the float is too high, either due to its setting being a little high or needle/ seat leaking and overfilling the bowl. More likely the latter.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: June 21, 2022 05:54AM

What measurement was the float level?
If higher than 1 1/16", reset to that. If it's that reset to 1 1/8".
Report back.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: June 21, 2022 08:39AM

I had a carb from a Vendor once where the Seat wasn’t tightened all the way in the carb top causing the same issue

1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1998 Honda Prelude Dirt track car
1967 Crown V8 under construction
Mike Levine

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: June 21, 2022 08:45AM

Defective needle and seat.
Also, the float springs are likely too lose. I solved many venturi drip issues by adjusting the float springs so that the float is about weightless. Fuel pressure will open the float valve just fine with the springs adjusted this way.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 21, 2022 09:38AM

Wagonmaster
If higher than 1 1/16", reset to that. If it's that reset to 1 1/8".

Confusing. You mean if the float is higher than 1 1/6", which means the measurement is LESS than 1 1/16". then try 1 1/16" float measurement.

BTW, Pete, how do you know the fuel pressure was 4 psi?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: June 21, 2022 11:19AM

So I re-checked carbs again just now. Float level moved from 1/16th down (up?) to 1 1/8th. Float drop is 1 3/4". The problem car has an electric pump and regulator set to 4 psi. My plan for tomorrow if it isn't 90+ degrees out side is to mount this pair on my '63 Monza and look for fuel dripping from the clusters.

Re: Dripping from Carb Clusters - Resolved
Date: June 22, 2022 11:55AM

After taking the carbs apart and re-assembling them with the spec 1 1/8" float level I installed them on my very original (AACA HPOF) 1963 Monza 84 HP engine. Using the factory stock mechanical fuel pump the engine runs fine and no dripping from either cluster. Problem must related to the electric pump that is probably more than 4 psi. Vendor's carbs work great - no problem with them. - Pete

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 22, 2022 12:42PM

Don't trust the psi markings on regulators. I've heard they can be way off and some don't work at all.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: June 23, 2022 11:02AM

I'd adjust the pressure until the clusters don't drip. Then go for a drive that will draw a lot of fuel (like going slow in 3rd gear and then strongly accelerating). If that works then that IS the settings you need regardless of stated numbers.

BTW, I have one of those stated "4-7 PSI" Cube style electric pumps in another car with an Edelbrock carb. I had to dial the pressure back for the same reason.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 23, 2022 09:14PM

Those are just numbers on the dial, not related to psi except both increase in the same direction.winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.