Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wheel Cylinder Won’t Bleed
Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: June 19, 2022 06:00PM

Installed new Delco wheel cylinders in the rear with all new lines on my 65 Corsa Turbo. The passenger side bled fine, but the driver's side wouldn’t. I removed the bleeder screw and brake line to blow it out with brake cleaner and compressed air. Nothing. I removed it and blew air through it again and the rear cylinder popped out, revealing the holes on the inside of the cylinder. The hole for the bleeder screw isn’t round. Could that be the problem? If not can anyone else suggest a solution? Searched for while to find made in USA parts, but what was shipped was made in China. Maybe I should have just rebuilt the originals?

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wheel Cylinder Won’t Bleed
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 19, 2022 06:14PM

I got some Delco and the picture said Delco on the casting. Not on the ones I received. The bleed hole was not drilled all the way through.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: June 19, 2022 06:49PM

Did you drill the hole out or find another one?

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 19, 2022 07:09PM

jazzworkerbee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Installed new Delco wheel cylinders in the rear with all new lines on my 65 Corsa Turbo. The passenger side bled fine, but the driver's side wouldn’t. I removed the bleeder screw and brake line to blow it out with brake cleaner and compressed air. Nothing. I removed it and blew air through it again and the rear cylinder popped out, revealing the holes on the inside of the cylinder. The hole for the bleeder screw isn’t round. Could that be the problem? If not can anyone else suggest a solution? Searched for while to find made in USA parts, but what was shipped was made in China. Maybe I should have just rebuilt the originals?

The hole inside the cylinder isn't round?
OR
Viewed from inside the cylinder, the bleed hole isn't round?
If you are talking about the last one, I wouldn't expect the hole to be round.
It is a circular hole drilled into the side of a cylinder.
It is going to have an OVAL shape due to the two different circles bisecting at an angle.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: June 19, 2022 07:20PM

It’s the latter.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: roger65180 ()
Date: June 20, 2022 04:42AM

Drill it thru clean it up assemble, re install

Roger R
Madison Wi
62 ct pg turbo
65intercooled 180 4sp,autocrosser
62 Rampy

Date: June 20, 2022 10:58AM

After comparing the replacement cylinder with the original that came on the car, I noticed a significant difference in hole sizes for the bleeder screws. I drilled it out, cleaned it thoroughly, reassembled it all and it bled! Thanks for the help! As I get closer to driving my car and I have to revisit many of my past installs, I experience a little trepidation because I don’t want to ruin new parts.

Glad I could fix it, but these kinds of quality control issues are annoying.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Date: June 20, 2022 12:50PM

Bled all four corners with one of those plates that uses compressed air and sits on top of the master cylinder. However, the pedal still goes to the floor with no resistance. Does that mean that there’s still air in the line or could there be a problem with the master? It’s a new, dual, 1” Wilwood to go with my front disc conversion.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 20, 2022 08:16PM

I’m out. Too many new variables.

Just remember all air has to be out of entire system. Air out of master, air out of calipers, air out of wheel cylinders and air out of lines. All bleeders have to be in the highest point of object being bled.

Test master easy, place plugs in both openings. Get a hard pedal after a few pushes?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: June 20, 2022 10:46PM

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder?

Date: June 21, 2022 06:18AM

Yup, twice. I followed Wilwood’s instructions to the letter. Maybe I made a mistake with the pushrod length?

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: June 21, 2022 03:02PM

Are the bleeders at the top of the Caliper or the bottom with the caliper installed? 99% of the time they are installed upside down. Corvette people do it all the time.

Date: June 21, 2022 03:48PM

The front calipers are Wilwood, so there are bleeder screws on top and bottom. Because air is lighter than the fluid, I only bled them from the top.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: June 23, 2022 09:39AM

Try the "old fashioned" way of bleeding the brakes with a buddy pumping the peddle while you crack the bleeder, etc. I had a hand pump style pressure bleeder thingy and never got it to work as advertised (I had issues, some of which were self-induced for sure)

And I second the idea to put plugs in the MC outlets to test it.

James
65 Corsa
SF Bay Area

Date: June 25, 2022 12:05PM

I just blocked off the master and the pedal was stiff, so it's a goodn'!

Therefore, I still have air in the lines? If so, should I jack the end of the car I am bleeding as high as I can get it to help the air find its way to the bleeder screw?

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Date: June 25, 2022 09:13PM

I've never had to jack a car to get air out of brake lines. The master is higher than all four bleeders, right?

Now that the master has two plugs in it, just remove one plug and connect one brake circuit, bleed. OK? If yes, attach next circuit.

Are the back brakes adjusted?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: June 26, 2022 11:13AM

Today, I will bleed the back first with the fronts blocked off. That seems to be the best bet because the loop from the master to the rear junction will have the most air in it. The rear drums aren't adjusted yet, but I will use the technique that Larry Claypool suggested during the Corsa Meetup in March.

Thank you for all of the advice! It's getting closer and closer every day!

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Date: June 26, 2022 04:32PM

I have pedal feel now and have the driver side rear adjusted. For some reason, the hub is locked on the passenger side. Not sure why, but I had to reassemble it to put the small shoe in the front. Therefore, I had something to do with it. Will continue to tinker.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Date: June 27, 2022 06:31PM

Unfortunately, I t’s a bad bearing, which means I have two bad bearings. I don’t own a press, so I’ll likely go with the Clark’s kit if they use fancy bearings. Suggestions are very welcome.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Date: June 27, 2022 07:36PM

"Fancy" bearings on a late model?confused smiley Explain.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.