Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Brake fluid
Posted by: CHANCE1 ()
Date: June 18, 2022 09:49AM

Hello,i have a 64 Monza convertible i`m working on .when i first got it the brake pedal was down on the floor not working . ended up replacing the MC filled with fluid and i had brakes. after sitting for a while all the fluid leaked out ? i didn`t see any fluid on the ground or on my tires, finally pulled all the drums didn`t see evidence of leaking cylinders . did notice some dark area`s around the rear of the floor tunnel "could be old dry oil too" ? looks like the brake line runs through that floor tunnel so i`m guessings the leak is in the tunnel ? any input ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brake fluid
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: June 18, 2022 09:54AM

We're going to assume that you bled all four brake wheel cylinders when you filled the M/C...if not start over.

Date: June 18, 2022 09:58AM

Yes i did , but what would that have to do with disappearing brake fluid , i mean totally dry .

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: June 18, 2022 01:18PM

Leaking out the back of the MC?

Date: June 18, 2022 03:57PM

Maybe , but was new when this happened ? also are front & rear wheel cylinder kits the same & are the brake flex hoses the same F&R

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 18, 2022 06:25PM

Corvairs are notorious for the RF brake line rusting out above the gas tank and below the trunk, but you should see some fluid on the floor by now.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: June 18, 2022 06:50PM

CHANCE1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Also are front & rear wheel cylinder kits the same & are the brake flex hoses the same F&R

No and No.

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock
Been Aircooled Since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Date: June 18, 2022 07:42PM

Thank you

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 19, 2022 05:57AM

It's not too hard to remove the center pans under the car. If it's losing a whole reservoir of fluid I'm sure you'll be able to track down where it's going. If the reservoir goes empty and you lose pressure it will be more difficult to track it down.
Any leak can get worse. It can go from an annoyance of filling the reservoir to a complete hydraulic failure at any time.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: June 19, 2022 08:57AM

check the carpet / pad

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Date: June 19, 2022 04:00PM

Ok i`ll check everything out ....on the wheel cylinder size i thought front`s were 1 1/8 and rear was 1" i pulled the right rear WC and it is 15/16 ? not sure on the front ???

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: June 19, 2022 07:31PM

The fronts should be 7/8" unless equipped with metallic linings. Then they'd be 1".

Date: June 19, 2022 08:58PM

Thanx ill check then find some kits ....

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 19, 2022 09:09PM

Chance
the wheel cylinder size i thought front`s were 1 1/8 and

The FC, not the car, uses 1 1/8” front wheel cylinders. A common issue using online sources that are not Corvair vendors. Always check multiple sources to confirm sizes and fit if not using our vendors. thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: June 19, 2022 09:44PM

If it were my car, I would replace the entire system and rebuild all the cylinders, and then replace them with silicone brake fluid. I put silicone brake fluid into my 1964 Spyder over 20 years ago, and haven't had to do anything other than routine inspection ever since. They work today as well as they did when I did the change from DOT3 brake fluid, only now I don't have to worry about rusted-out brake lines. Personally, I stay away from Made in China brake cylinders and will send my old ones out for re-lining with brass inserts if they are so pitted that they can't be honed properly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: June 20, 2022 10:56AM

Thanx for the input I agree I was planning on doing that , i was just trying to get brakes working while i`m working on it ... now that i have inspected it it has several issues , bad hose`s , stuck cylinders , so i ordered new hoses and will rebuild the cylinders. but my RR cylinder has a piece broke off , so i need to find a good used replacement , as not to use china made stuff . as far as the silicone fluid do i need a special MC ? or just flush the system and fill with silicone ?

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 20, 2022 11:27AM

No Special MC, I have been running it since 1977. Most important, clean , flush the system with denatured alcohol, blow dry, to get all of the normal fluid out. When you pour DOT 5 into the MC, take your time bleeding. The DOT 5 will retain microscopic bubbles after you pure. Give them a chance to get out.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: June 29, 2022 05:11AM

With regards to DOT 5 silicone brake fluid, I have switched 7 of my cars to this fluid. It’s the very best for collector cars and if you spill some on your paint, no problem. It lubricates all you wet brake parts and keeps them like new. I just converted my 70 SS396 Chevelle to DOT 5, and it works incredibly well. But make sure you completely clean your entire system with denatured alcohol, and better yet, disassemble your MC for a complete cleaning.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
62 Rampside
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2022 Tesla model S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.