Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
L/M lower windshield repair advice
Posted by: BigGeorgesVair ()
Date: June 17, 2022 06:07PM

Hi experts/all! I have decided to take on the 'rot' in my lower windshield area on my l/m coupe. I've looked at some other posts (especially those with pics), but I'm still scratching my head some. I am DEFINITELY not a "body man"....but I can follow instructions well with limitations. I don't weld and don't have metal working tools.(bend/stretch/etc).
I bought the 'repair panel' from a club member (he purchased from Clarks)....the problem is....the worst rust is in the 'corners' of the lower windshield. there is very little rust in the area that the patch panel covers.
Did others that do this repair experience the same issue? or is my car just rusted in this unusual spots??
See pics for what I am referring to.
thanks!!
p.s....I have a friend that is supposed to do the welding for me, but again, welding in the patch panel won't repair the worst areas.

George O¸
1967 Corvair 500 110/PG. in family since 1969 with 1200 miles(75k currently).

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: L/M lower windshield repair advice
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: June 17, 2022 06:19PM

You are a braver man than me...no way!!!

Other than a cheerleader I've got nothin.

Posted by: KenHenry ()
Date: June 17, 2022 06:29PM

Hmm, it does look problematic. How are you planning to attach the panel without welding? If you really want to fix it (I’m not sure it’s a good idea; how is the rest of the car?) the first step is to wire wheel and grind away all the loose material from prior failed repairs and any factory lead left in the seams.

Ken Henry, Rochester, NY USA
1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Date: June 17, 2022 07:32PM

Phil....thanks for the cheerleading...I NEED it.smileys with beer

Ken, the rest of the car is very good...AND it is sentimental...My dad (Big George) loved the car...and its about all I have left of him (RIP)....so the car WILL live on. (I've rebuilt the drivetrain and it drives like a dream!)

I have a friend that is an 'expert painter/body man'....he is going to "coach me", but I've sent him pics and he's a little perplexed too. (he's supposed to come over tomorrow to look it over, but I was hoping to get a little Corvair expertise to share with him first.)

I'm wondering if this is what others have found as I know the lower windshield rot is "common" in late models. I just expected it to be in the area of the patch panel. I was surprised that the patch panel area was pretty solid, but the corners are what's rotted.

George O¸

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 17, 2022 08:20PM

Time to buy a crumpled donor body and cut out what you need.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Colorsarge ()
Date: June 18, 2022 03:25AM

Certainly not the recommended way to go, but you could use resin and fiberglass cloth. Did many this way back in the day. If done carefully, the repair can last a long time and look fine. I know I'm going to get blasted for this suggestion, but, it works. Also, if memory serves, there were drain holes in those corners.

Frankford, De., eight miles north of Ocean City, Md.
1966 Corsa convt.

Date: June 18, 2022 04:36AM

What Matt Said!!! Time for a parts car.

Date: June 18, 2022 05:39AM

Looking back at the work I did, I extended the patch into the fender slightly on the driver side. I think corrosion tends to spread under the lead in that area. No need for a parts car, most will have some damage in there and sheet metal cut to shape will work. I also found that I had to make some relief cuts in the Clark’s panel to fit the body contour and windshield properly. This album will show you some of the common areas rust can lurk! Good luck!!

[flic.kr]

1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Date: June 18, 2022 06:30AM

Thanks guys....I appreciate the advice/direction.

Ken...wow! I wish I had your skillseye popping smiley I remember seeing some of your pics from a previous post. That car must have also had some special meaning to deserve all that work you put into it!!

I'll see how my buddy decides to approach and will try to provide updates. I hated taking the car 'down' during this time of the year, but it needs to be done. I think the authorities would frown on me wearing my goggles without a windshield, but I'd rather be driving it right now!

Thanks all !!

George O¸

Date: June 18, 2022 06:44AM

Where are you George?

Date: June 18, 2022 06:50AM

Hi George, no, just a random purchase that looked "OK" and was hiding 10x more work than I anticipated. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Fortunately I enjoy working on it and can afford to keep up with costs at the fairly slow rate of progress I've been making! Good luck and keep us posted on progress. It may not be too bad after wire wheeling out all of the loose material. Be sure to a wear a good mask as lead is used in that area... Ken

1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Date: June 18, 2022 06:58AM

Clark's panel relieved to fit opening (note welded up areas along the lip over the dashboard) and installed. I used a waterproof filler over the welds (USC All-Metal) and lightweight filler over that.

SAM_1460 by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr

SAM_1459 by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr

1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: June 18, 2022 07:09AM

Not to criticize Ken, but when you weld in that panel, try to replicate the factory spot welds closer to the bottom of the channel, as this panel ties in the top of the trough and the toe panel to the fender tops and the windshield frame. This panel helps decrease body flex when welded in at the factory attachment points. Big George - if the middle is good, leave it be and just fix the corners. Don’t let someone convince you to do the whole panel if not needed. I had that happen, and while the bodyman was well intentioned, the retro panel didn’t fit as well as the factory. I did the next one myself.

Mike
YS-117

Date: June 18, 2022 07:17AM

Mine is plug welded to the underlying body panel lip. Those little tacks are just anchoring it to the flimsy dash.

1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Date: June 18, 2022 12:37PM

Thanks Ken and Mike,
Good advice and I appreciate it.

Ken....I actually used those very pictures you just posted to show the guy I'm hoping that does the work as an example of what I needed/wanted done. Very helpful.

Mike...I'm actually "little George"....my dad was the real 'Big George'....it was a long running joke in my family. When I was growing into a man and my voice got deeper, when someone would call the phone and my dad would answer, he would always ask "do you want Big George or Little George?" and that stuck as my friends would give me grief about it. So my 'handle' on here "BigGeorgesVair" is a tribute to him!
Thanks...."Little George"grinning smiley

George O¸

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: June 18, 2022 05:14PM

Sounds good, Little George. Glad you are keeping Big George’s ride in good shape!

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 18, 2022 06:33PM

BigGeorgesVair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Ken and Mike,
> Good advice and I appreciate it.
>
>.
>
> Mike...I'm actually "little George"....my dad was the real 'Big George'....it was a long running joke in my family. When I was growing into a man and my voice got deeper, when someone would call the phone and my dad would answer, he would always ask "do you want Big George or Little George?" and that stuck as my friends would give me grief about it. So my 'handle' on here "BigGeorgesVair" is a tribute to him!
> Thanks...."Little George"grinning smiley

Way Cool, back when CB radios were popular, my handle was Big Brother, and my younger brother , now passed, was Little Brother.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: June 18, 2022 06:46PM

Well...My friend stopped by earlier to check out the damage. He took at it a little more 'aggressively' than me. I guess it will have to look WORSE before it looks better. We have a plan. So I'll try to update as it progresses. (which I expect will be slow)
I'm going to get to grinding and he's going to start fabricating some metal patches for the corners and sides that are rotted.
Here's some updated pics from after him hammering and chipping away at it.

Thanks....George

George O¸

Attachments:

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: June 18, 2022 07:13PM

Just dive in and do it...

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:

Date: June 19, 2022 07:01PM

Thanks Kenzen...these pictures help. I guess that's what I'm doing...I can't wait until mine looks like your 2nd picture (I hope in the not too distant future!)

George O¸

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.