Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
re-purposing Corvair parts
Posted by: kenvair ()
Date: June 17, 2022 10:17AM

About 40 years ago I acquired a used Corghi tire changer but didn't know it needed 3 phase power to operate which I didn't have at home and I was not familiar with converters etc. I had an abundance of 12vdc Corvair starters with broken noses and I decided to remove all the 3 phase solenoids and the motor and convert machine to 12 vdc from a battery. I used Ford style solenoids for all the functions and adapted the starter motor where the 3 phase motor was. After hooking up air supply and 12vdc battery I tried to dismount a tire from the wheel with no luck so I went to a local tire shop that had this same changer and asked the man to show me how it works. Right away it was obvious my table was turning CCW and should have been clockwise. Back home I remounted the motor on the outside and machine has been working perfectly for 40 years, thanks to that used Corvair starter.

Attachments:

Re: re-purposing Corvair parts
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 17, 2022 10:20AM

Cool!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: June 17, 2022 10:52AM

Fan belt idler on my old Craftsman bandsaw.

Attachments:
Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: June 17, 2022 01:40PM

Around 1980 I replaced the worn out steering on a '60S Craftsman lawn tractor with an EM Corvair steering box using the Sears column shaft with a Corvair steering wheel. Worked great for over a decade.

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 1/4", 186 ci.140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: June 17, 2022 03:49PM

Corsa dash harness almost perfect replacement for 1955-56 Packard gauge cluster.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: June 17, 2022 07:26PM

As one who is a privileged visitor to the "Arnold Auto Shop", I can tell you that this tire machine is just one of his many items of ingenuity. thumbs up

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Corvair Club Webmaster
Springfest Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.