Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Rotisserie
Date: June 15, 2022 01:00PM

Where is the best balancing point to have the rotisserie spindle. The rotisseries you buy have it offset because they usually bolt underneath the car on the frame mounts, but on the Corvair unibody I see people mounting the rotisserie to the bumper bolts which is approximately center line of the height of the car. Of course I mount it dead center in the width of the car, but it is very hard to turn over and then once he gets past a certain point it takes off and you cannot stop it. Some of the pictures I have looked at, the pivoting point is above the bumper line and some are right at the bumper line but I am looking for people who have experienced this first hand and could make recommendations. It looks like most of the weight on a convertible is underneath on the floor pan structural area so I would think that the pivot area should be lower than the bumper line. The rotisseries you buy are adjustable but they will not adjust right to the center and I find that it's very dangerous as the car body takes off and swings around. So I am going to have to cut it apart and reweld but before I weld it I would like to know where the ultimate balance point is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rotisserie
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 15, 2022 01:36PM

My rotisserie pivots easily with the pivot point just above the bumper. Once the suspension was off it was perfectly balanced.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: June 18, 2022 07:18PM

This had mine very well balanced

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:
Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: June 19, 2022 05:33AM

Although I had to fabricate the brackets used to attach it to the coupe body, this rotisserie from redlinestands.com worked very well for me.

I recall having to play with it a bit to properly center it so that it would easily rotate.

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Corvair Club Webmaster
Springfest Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: June 21, 2022 12:18PM

The shop that did the work on the Glenn car fabricated a subframe that bolted onto the suspension points under the car and attached to the rotisserie. It made for a very stable and balanced operation. Because the subframe was very rigid, no addition bracing of the car was required, even with no top or doors attached, as there was no stress on the body.

You can see photos here: [photos.app.goo.gl]

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: June 21, 2022 04:53PM

Soon I will need to know where the good mounting point would be for a Rampside. Mine will be going on a rotisserie before too long.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Date: June 21, 2022 05:17PM

I believe the ramp side bolts on the same as a car. Right where the bumper bolts on. I made a special adapter bracket for mine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.