Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Bearing Hubs for Disc Brakes
Posted by: falude ()
Date: June 14, 2022 07:33PM

Hi All -

I am looking to do a front disc conversion on my 65 Monza. I was wondering if anyone on the forum, or any Corvair vendors sold bearing hubs that had been turned down for a disc brake conversion?

I know that all it takes is a brake lathe, but after a recent experience with O'Reillys turning my brake drums, I don't really want to trust them or some other part store to machine my hubs. I suppose that I could probably find a machine shop to do the work, but would prefer to give my business to someone in the Corvair community if possible.

Thank you,

Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bearing Hubs for Disc Brakes
Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: June 14, 2022 08:28PM

Matt,
Sent you a PM.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: June 14, 2022 09:24PM

Take the opportunity to replace all the bearings and install new wheel studs at the same time. With the bearings out and the studs removed, machining down the shoulder and the OD is a fast job on the lathe. I can do the rears, too, without removing the stub axles from the carrier. You have to "cut" off the brake backing plate and the existing studs have to go. If you are building the car from scratch, I suggest changing over to 12mm x 1.5 studs. The S10 discs are already at 12mm and lug nuts are much easier to find these days. It is an easy drill out. Your call!

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 15, 2022 06:09AM

I don't remember having to shave down the Corvair hubs when using 4WD S10 slip on rotors but then again I don't remember a lot of things these days.

I've usually been able to find 7/16 studs with a good knurl size. A lot of the time I'm looking for something longer for aluminum wheels. I've gotten 7/16 gorilla nuts from Seth in the past so if he says they're getting hard to find what am I to do?

A good deal on aluminum wheels can fade when one starts pricing studs and lug nuts to make them safe.

Would I have to carry a Metric lug wrench? Oh the horror! What if my American Pie friends see?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: June 16, 2022 04:59AM

If you want to do shipping I can turn them. Just got done doing 2 sets for the race car.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: June 16, 2022 07:29AM

I got a set of turned down hubs from Mel at Vairmart here in San Jose, CA. He said he was going to do a batch. This was a while ago but depending on your situation, it might be worth a call.

James
65 Corsa
SF Bay Area

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.