Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Yenko Stinger 014 has been found!
Posted by: Brucem ()
Date: June 14, 2022 02:16PM

A few weeks ago I had the very rare opportunity to purchase a previously undiscovered Yenko Stinger. YS - 014. The car and all of it's identification tags are completely in place and completely original. Nothing has been removed or touched in any way. The vin sequence, GM body / paint plate, and Yenko 014 tag are all lined up. It turns out YS-012 is body number 2774 and YS-014 is body number 2773. I had a chance to speak to Warren about the vin / code and he was able to verify that the sequence was indeed part of the original 100 cars in inventory at Don Yenko's place. I have sent him dozens of pictures to review.
The car has never been in an accident, all panels are in place - there is no rust or rust through as the car was in garage storage for the past 48 years and carried a 1974 license plate. The dash / interior components look brand new as the car has only 3500 miles on it!
The car is fully optioned as a Stage III and has heavy duty fuel lines, high CFM carbs, SW oil pressure / temp gauges, brake servo booster unit, competition metallic brakes, limited slip, heavy duty oil cooler, Yenko roll bar, 2 Yenko bucket racing seats (either they are small or my ass is big), racing seat belts.
The car is VERY original and has not been tinkered with. Clearly, someone at one point really knew what they were ordering and had serious intentions with the car. The car was part of a family estate and the family is searching through a myriad of family documents to find the original paperwork. (fingers crossed there) They did find and give to me other paperwork for another Corvair they owned and it was very detailed - hopefully this will be the same case. Regardless of the paperwork it is not hard to see what you are looking at when you are in the presence of this car!
A couple of our members helped me find closure to this opportunity - and I thank you (you all know who you are) for putting up with my emails while trying to track it down.
Short story is that I was in Columbus OH on a business trip for the first time in 3 years. It was purely coincidental that the owner of the car revealed to me on a call while there that the car was about 45 minutes away in Mansfield OH. Right near Mid-Ohio Raceway. We were able to connect the next morning and I bought it on the spot. The car was a mere 158 miles from the Canonsburg Yenko Dealership. Under our nose the entire time! Had I not been there - I doubt this car would be in my garage next to my other favorite Corvairs. I never thought I would get a Stinger - much less find one that is very original and has been missing.
I look forward to soliciting the help from many key folks on this site who can help me get this car completely documented, preserved, and into shape to make our club proud and present to the rest of the automotive enthusiasts out there another important part of Corvair history.
Thanks for reading - Bruce

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yenko Stinger 014 has been found!
Posted by: Skizz ()
Date: June 14, 2022 02:20PM

Congrats!

64 Monza Vert
64 Spyder Vert
2002 Chev 1500
1996 Impalla SS
Eastern NC

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 14, 2022 02:25PM

GREAT STORY! I read it twice. I was going to ask Warren who(?) but I know it was not W L. I look forward to seeing it one day in the flesh. Congrats.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 14, 2022 02:39PM

thumbs up cool smiley thumbs up
Looking forward to hearing more of this interesting story.
We expect a FULL write-up!
Please make this an extensive dedicated thread.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: 110PG ()
Date: June 14, 2022 02:41PM

Awesome! This car is in good hands.

Joe
Western WI
63 Fairlane 500 (SC Clone project)
66 Corsa Turbo

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: June 14, 2022 02:43PM

Congratulatons Bruce it sounds like a great find and helps fill in a bit of Stinger history too.

Enjoy the refurbing of the components to make it road worthy. I hope the body cleans up nicely too.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: June 14, 2022 03:49PM

Are the specifications of the Stage III camshafts well known? I for one am curious what the details are on that. Small potatoes I suppose in the bigger picture.
Yes, glorious congratulations on your historic acquisition!

Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: June 14, 2022 03:58PM

So Cool, can't wait to see the car!!

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1962 Monza Wagon Ted Brown EFI Gen II
1964 Spyder coupe

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 14, 2022 06:09PM

Glad its not April 1, almost to good to be true.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: June 14, 2022 07:38PM

Great find, and congrats, can’t wait to see some photos.

Rocco

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: June 14, 2022 07:46PM

wow way cool !

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Posted by: NapaVair ()
Date: June 14, 2022 07:59PM

I was fortunate to be with Bruce when he took delivery of the Stinger. I could not believe how original it looked, it was definitely a time capsule from over 40 years ago. The body is straight with no rust through, the paint looks like it can be preserved with some patina. a true barn find car...Yenko Stinger !

It has some very interesting features, especially the front air scoop for the oil cooler (where the front license plate would be). I never seen anything like it.

I tried to insert some pics but was unsuccessful, but maybe the attachment works.

Eric
Napa, CA

Attachments:
Date: June 14, 2022 09:07PM

Here are a few more pictures.

I enjoyed seeing the extra two gauges in the middle dash and understand that was an option offered by Yenko.

The fiberglass seat is actually very comfortable, I was surprised. Getting in and out was entertaining.

The engine picture shows the original white velocity stacks, the top of the carbs are painted blue, never saw that before...but must be orginal from Yenko?

Eric
Napa, CA

Attachments:

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: June 14, 2022 11:17PM

Wow! Incredible find!

What's next? 1969 #6000? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: June 14, 2022 11:29PM

I will add:

So many Stingers end up being "restored" to way beyond what they originally were. I get that. Many of them ore beautiful - and valuable.

But Don created these cars to go very fast for relatively cheap in the day. People bought them and drove them...got dents in them and paint chips in the process.

This one has a story to tell. Or many stories.

Wow - so cool!

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: June 15, 2022 05:13AM

Thanks for the photos, and if that roll bar was installed by Yenko, I now know how to install my “dealer installed” rollbar when I finally get around to finishing YS113. Seriously, does anyone know if Yenko welded a backing plate on the underside, and then bolted like this, or were they all “dealer installed” and who knows what any dealer might have done? Mine was never installed. Ed Cuneen used my bar to make repros, and made some backing plates, and if I’m not mistaken, there are bolt holes on the bottom “tab” like we see here.

Please keep the photos coming, great history here.

Rocco

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: June 15, 2022 07:41AM

Warren does not believe this car was prepped at Yenko for racing. They didn’t modify the front panel like that. I’ve never seen painted carb tops. I’ve seen the race carbs from several original Stage III cars and they were not painted. I have the race carbs from YS-081 and they are not painted. This is an excellent car, not like any that I’m aware of, but it appears the original owner bought parts from Yenko and other sources, and prepared the car in house. I’m curious to see if the family is able to document any race history for the car.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: June 15, 2022 07:44AM

Congrats on the find. It is a real and great time capsule. Please keep the photos coming. I was lucky to find YS-074 in Kansas in 1991- one of the other Stage 3 street cars.

Nice to see yours still has the correct rear view mirror in it.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Date: June 15, 2022 08:34AM

I'm glad to see some Stinger owners chime in on this thread to give their opinion's on the car. I guess in time the car will tell its story, which it is doing now.

After doing some cleaning we have discovered that the headlight bezels were painted blue as well as the bottom rear fenders and the bottom front valance.

I will post more pics later today.

Eric
Napa, CA

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: June 15, 2022 08:50AM

I appreciate your efforts, Eric, as well a Bruce, sharing the process of discovery with us. Almost all of the Stingers were unique cars. They all started off the same, but were quickly changed by both Yenko and their new owners. I believe each one is important to show the history and how different owners made their way through the process of building a race car. From what I have observed, few cars received as many Yenko race parts as this one. That caught my attention when Robert first posted pics of the discovery. A lot of people made their own parts or used other period items. YS-081 was sold as a “sleeper”. No exterior modifications at all. The first owner was good friends with Don and was racing an Elva, along with being an SCCA regional director. A year later, he decided to race the Stinger. So he bought a Decklid, 4 widened steel wheels (just for the back) carbs and velocity stacks from Yenko, but made his own sail panels. The thrifty gene is nothing new to the Corvair / Stinger world.

Mike
YS-117

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.