Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Heater hose reinstall
Posted by: LostYooper ()
Date: June 14, 2022 01:35PM

I see that this has been asked before, but couldn't find a good answer - I am reinstalling some heater hoses on my 63 Monza, but having a hell of a time with it because I can't get into a position where I can see what I am doing, and getting them to line up correctly, I just about had the passenger side, but messed up when I was tightening the hose clamp, there is also more room on that side and it was a much easier (but not at all easy) reach. Any help is appreciated! PS - This is for the side that hooks up to the body, not the engine side.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heater hose reinstall
Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: June 14, 2022 02:52PM

The height of the vehicle off the ground and the person's physical body size and dexterity make a world of difference in ease of installation. A little spray silicone on the inside of the hoses helps them slide on.

Date: June 14, 2022 03:49PM

It's high as I can get it, I'm not as flexible as I used to be, I will try the silicone spray though, maybe that'll do it

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 15, 2022 10:13AM

Buy the Clark's rubber style, it fits looser than the fabric style.thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: corvairtherapy ()
Date: June 16, 2022 06:19AM

Stick your arm in the hose, you can feel all the edges to make sure the hose is on.
Dave.. .

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 16, 2022 08:29AM

They can be difficult, just did a left side one yesterday. If the end gets a flap turned in it will stop. Sometimes you can get the longest part of the end on and then sort of screw it on. I use Syl-Glyde grease inside to get it on easier and especially inside the engine end so next time it isn't stuck to get it off.
Sometimes if the car is jacked up too high it gets difficult raising your torso off the floor when your arms aren't long enough. Gets me in the neck.
If you get it on and it slips off again because you don't have the clamp and wrench handy it can cause some angst.

I bought 25' from Zoro that was pretty rigid to work with. Worked through that and bought 25' of another kind that was a little better but still too rigid. Running out of that now so looking for something else. You want the temperature handling characteristic. Looking at 18 different kinds of 4" hose on the Internet is confusing and getting someone on the phone who doesn't know much about the products doesn't help much either. You'd think with 50' of hose under the bridge I'd be better at it by now. I love Clarks but the price of their hose plus a big shipping box is prohibitive on a regular basis.

If I stick my arm in there and accidently flex my rippling biceps it could get dangerous so you better stand back...

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 16, 2022 11:26AM

A heat gun or hair dryer on the hose end plus silicone spray will help

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: June 20, 2022 01:46PM

I got them on! It took every tip to get the damn things on their (I'm not even joking, I had to put my hand up the middle, silicone a little around the inside and heat it up with a hair dryer.)

Posted by: Monzaguy110 ()
Date: June 20, 2022 04:16PM

Glad you got it.

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: June 20, 2022 09:18PM

I'm glad you got the hoses on. I had a tough time getting the RH hose on my turbo Corsa, & finally slit the end of the hose lengthwise about 1 inch. That let me get the thing over the metal part enough so I could put the clamp over the cut part of the hose & it worked fine.
I know this is a little late to help you but it might help some one else that is struggling with the same thing.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.