Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
1966 Corvair Swapped w/ Cobalt SS motor
Posted by: SeanKile ()
Date: June 11, 2022 05:04AM

Hey all,

I am new to the forum. Local to Lincoln NE - I currently go to UNL for mechanical engineering. I wanted to create a forum to document my build.

One of my friends, Dennis, used to race Corvairs back in the 80s. I have worked for Dennis at Rosene Machine since highschool. I bought a 66 shell from him 2 weeks ago. Dennis is 70 and got me interested in corvairs - I am 19. I am swapping the engine and transmission out of a 08 Cobalt SS. This is a 2.0l 4 cyl turbo motor & 5 speed manual transmission. I plan to weigh both the engine and transmission to get an exact weight but they should be close to 400 lbs total. I bought a donor car with this engine and transmission for $2200.

This engine and transmission will be mounted transversely roughly where the rear passenger seat lies. For suspension, I bought a full C5 corvette front and rear drop subframes. I will be running BC coilovers instead of the tranverse leaf springs. Initially I will be running a rear mount radiator and intercooler with ducting to direct air to the motor - this will eventually get moved to the front when I dive into the body work.

I am designing full round tube subframes using 1.25 od 4140. I’m hoping to use all the stock mounting locations available on the corvair unibody so they can bolt and unbolt easily. I am 3d scanning all the suspension pieces, under body, and transmission with an app called Polycam on my phone so I can design everything in Solidworks. I will be doing FEA on the subframes to optimize ridigity.

What I am doing is very similar to a DF goblin (look them up) so there is a lot of aftermarket support swap-wise.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2022 05:06AM by SeanKile.

Re: 1966 Corvair Swapped w/ Cobalt SS motor
Date: June 11, 2022 05:19AM

My 66 - no holes in the floor and minimal body damage

The C5 suspension

2.0l turbo LNF Cobalt SS motor - came from auction with a bunch of aftermarket parts. I’m guessing it has a tune and is probably sitting around 300hp/300lbf.

Attachments:

Date: June 11, 2022 05:36AM

Also I have the stock corvair front and rear subframes/arms. If anyone local to Lincoln wants them I will be happy to sell them.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: June 11, 2022 06:56AM

Welcome!!!

For sure need to resize pictures before posting...look in our FAQ's for how.

You are located very close to one of our biggest Corvair Nuts in Hastings.

[shadesclassiccars.com]

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: June 11, 2022 08:08AM

Welcome to the forum and the best of luck with your swapping and modifications.

There are numerous CORSA members in Lincoln/Omaha and smaller towns aaround you. You should join CORSA to find those folks as well as joining the V8 Registry which caters to all of the engine swaps.

Ask Dennis if he remembers Tom Parker as well as Gar and Gaye Anderson from years ago. Also Gerald Greave is still living in Omaha.

There is a series of U-tube features by sslarsman who swapped a 3800 Pontiac into a late convert that may have some similarities to your project.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 11, 2022 08:42AM

WelcomE Neat project. Please keep up to date on your progress!

Suggestion: Resize your pics to 800 x 600 to fit our format. Have fun!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: June 11, 2022 09:13AM

SeanKile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My 66 - no holes in the floor and minimal body damage
>
> The C5 suspension
>
> 2.0l turbo LNF Cobalt SS motor - came from auction with a bunch of aftermarket parts. I’m guessing it has a tune and is probably sitting around 300hp/300lbf.

Sean,

If you are going to make your own tubular sub frame - rear and front you might want to check out Rick's C5 suspension kits.

I met Rick in the 80's. He's a true car guy and has built some nice ones over the years.

His latest creation of the C5 suspension kits, helps us car guys to install the C5 suspension, a lot quicker and easier, in a custom project.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Rcavictor ()
Date: June 11, 2022 01:05PM

Welcome SeanKile, LOVE your plan and looking forward to your build thread!

Rob
Ocklawaha FL

'66 Monza Coupe 4spd 140, Regal Red
‘64 Spyder Coupe, Maaco Rootbeer (orig Almond Fawn)
'64 Monza convertible 4spd 180 turbo, Daytona Blue
'62 Greenbrier 8-door, 'very patinaed' Crystal Turquoise Blue
‘62 Loadside, Glenwood Green
'62 Corvan95, Glenwood Green
‘62 Monza Coupe, Honduras Maroon
‘61 Loadside, Cardinal Red
‘61 Lakewood, Jewel Blue
‘61 Lakewood, epoxy primer…

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: June 12, 2022 04:24AM

Sounds like a fun project, and that Cobalt motor is capable of making some serious horsepower. Keep us posted!

Posted by: AZ Troy ()
Date: June 12, 2022 09:16PM

This is going to be a cool build. I cant wait to see the progress.

Troy G. / Scottsdale Arizona

'65 140 Corsa Coupe, White with light blue guts
'66 140 Corsa Coupe - Crown Converted in the '60's, Black with 3 Yellow stripes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2022 09:16PM by AZ Troy.

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: June 13, 2022 12:10AM

Welcome, I'm jealous of your
age, nice to see a young guy
interested in our favorite cars.
Very cool project. Can't wait
to see and read your progress.

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe
61 Monza 4 door

Detroit, Michigan

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: June 13, 2022 08:00AM

Usually I would pipe in with something snarky about too many non-stock modifications and why bother but instead I'm going to say,

"This looks to be a really cool build and Welcome Aboard!"

Because I really mean that.

WOOHOO!!!

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2022 08:07AM by playerpage.

Date: June 20, 2022 05:32AM

Hello all, I wanted to thank everyone for the positive words - it's great to be a part of a cool community like this. Here is an update of everything I have done over the last few days (multiple posts for more pictures).

First off is my 3D scanning work. I have an iPhone 13 Pro, and I use an app called Polycam to process these scans. Most scanning apps will have LiDAR and Optical scanning. LiDAR works well for body-sized objects (think the outside of a car). Optical works very well for small detailed parts. One IMPORTANT note if you want a 3D mesh to use in CAD, you must scan parts sitting on some peg. This allows you to scan underneath the parts. One can then delete the peg and create a watertight mesh.

Processing these scans into a format I can utilize is less straightforward than I would have initially thought. Polycam allows you to export scans in any file format for $8 a month. My process is as follows:

1) Create a scan with Polycam using the PHOTO automatic (video) method. I get 250 images per scan, and Polycam stitches these images together to create a mesh.
2) Export to.STL
3) Process scan in GeoMagic X - this is a 3d scan software used on a computer - you can get a free trial to test.
4) In Geomagic: I delete the points the peg takes up. I then use the heal wizard tool. Next, I use the fill hole tool around the gaps left by deleting the peg. I again use the heal wizard tool. I then remesh the scan to ensure it is watertight. I enhance the scan. Lastly, I use the auto surface tool with the organic setting.
5) I export this file as a . STEP into Solidworks. I then convert the surface to a mesh. This is as far as I have gotten. One can edit a mesh in Solidworks by creating solids, converting them to meshes, and using the mesh tool tabs.

I almost have all six files processed. (I am only processing one side and then mirroring. Front & Rear UCAs, LCAs, Knuckles). I will then insert these files into an assembly so I can create a 3d model of my subframes & place everything within the car.

[grabcad.com]

Here is a link to some C6 suspension & points - I did not make these; they are not meshed solids, but some of you might find them useful.

Attachments:

Date: June 20, 2022 05:48AM

I am all ears if anyone knows an easy way to process those 3D scans. I learned all this from youtube in the last week, and I am certain I am doing many silly things.

Here is the jig I am using to verify my 3D scans - the scans are not scaled, so I need measurements to scale them within Solidworks. I also want to create rough, solid model representations of the points on these arms. This jig gave me the orthogonal measurements I needed to draw these in CAD.

I based the setup angle on the ball-joint travel when the knuckle was attached and perpendicular to the ground. Both arms are approximately 10 degrees below horizontal. The ball joint still had a very small amount of room left to travel when the car goes under the lift and for adding camber. This allows the ball joint plenty of room to angle under compression.

If anyone has any criticism/alternative ideas here for how I should measure these or expect them to sit in the car, I would love to hear it!

I have designed & built another suspension system - a dual trailing arm in the rear and a double-wishbone in the front on a go Cart. But I am very new to the suspension design world.

Also pictured are the C5/C6 BC racing coil overs I bought. These are a reputable brand and a fair price - I don't have 4K to drop on coil overs yet, so $1100 for these was what I could afford. I had to go to coil-overs to get rid of the leaf springs on the C5 suspension because my track width would differ from the stock C5. Changing the top-side mounting of these coil-overs to Heim-joints/rod ends. This will make them shorter and easier to mount to my tubular subframes using lasercut tabs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2022 05:52AM by SeanKile.

Attachments:

Date: June 20, 2022 06:19AM

On the body side of things:

I have gotten most of the stock parts off of the car. I have found very little rust so far. The only area I think I will need to replace is the passenger rear fender, the trunk floor, and the rear quarters' bottom sections.
This is decent for a 50-something-year-old midwest car with 70K miles.

I aim to get the car running and driving before I start on complicated and expensive bodywork. I plan to use a rust converter and POR-15 on the car's underside. On the top side of the car, I have been wire wheeling any rust and painting over the bare metal with SEM self-etching primer. I do not have the time or money to dig into the bodywork. Making the car look pretty is likely a task for next summer. At the very least, I will address any active rust issues and hopefully slow or stop them for now.

The red lines I drew are where I anticipate cutting. I will make a replacement firewall with sheet steel and bead roll some structure into it. This will then be welded into the factory steel. For rigidity, I will be bending a 6-point NHRA certifiable cage out of 1.625x.083 Docal R8 - this is a newer material that is certifiable to NHRA standards. The ultimate tensile strength of Docal R8 is more than 35% greater than 4130 AND it is less brittle. I am buying mine from AED motorsports. Shipping is high, if anyone needs roll cage tube, is local to Nebraska, and wants to order some with me message me!

Attachments:

Date: June 20, 2022 06:23AM

OttawaCorvairGuy Wrote:
> Sean,
>
> If you are going to make your own tubular sub frame - rear and front you might want to check out Rick's C5 suspension kits.
>
> I met Rick in the 80's. He's a true car guy and has built some nice ones over the years.
>
> His latest creation of the C5 suspension kits, helps us car guys to install the C5 suspension, a lot quicker and easier, in a custom project.
>
> Hope this helps.

I got inspiration from these guys but unfortunately, the prices are out of my budget. I can buy tube and engineer a subframe for less time & dollars than the time I would spend working to buy a kit like that. Plus I wouldn't get the experience haha

Date: June 20, 2022 06:26AM

steve c goodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Welcome to the forum and the best of luck with your swapping and modifications.
>
> There are numerous CORSA members in Lincoln/Omaha and smaller towns aaround you. You should join CORSA to find those folks as well as joining the V8 Registry which caters to all of the engine swaps.
>
> Ask Dennis if he remembers Tom Parker as well as Gar and Gaye Anderson from years ago. Also Gerald Greave is still living in Omaha.
>
> There is a series of U-tube features by sslarsman who swapped a 3800 Pontiac into a late convert that may have some similarities to your project.

I will ask Dennis when I see him next - I am out of the country for a week.

I have seen sslarsman's videos. They gave me a rough idea of where I would be cutting. Very good work and information! Thank you for pointing this out though.

I will join those when I get a chance!

Date: June 20, 2022 06:36AM

A few questions I have:

Any AutoX guys out there that have a good knowledge of the classes. What class would I be running in? I am modifying the firewall, swapping the engine & transmission, technically changing the power train layout (rear engine to rear-mid engine), and doing a tubular subframe with entirely different suspension and brakes. I am unsure of how to interpret the rules.

Also, what Caster, Camber, & and Toe are the AutoCross guys running? Not sure if anyone has "bible" numbers for what works. I am reading a few books like Tune to Win & Race Car Vehicle Dynamics to get some insight into this but experience trumps all so. I was thinking
Front: 7-8 degrees caster, 2-3 degrees camber, 0 degrees toe
Rear: 0 degrees caster, .5 degrees camber, 0 degrees toe
Let me know if I am off my rocker with these numbers, please!

Are there any good LED aftermarket taillights available for these cars? I see many people replace the lights with LED bulbs, but I didn't know if someone sold a full assembly like there is for the 5.75" headlights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2022 06:43AM by SeanKile.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 20, 2022 08:39AM

Ebay / Amazon has lots of 7.75" lights.

Suspension settings: Your car will tell you what it needs as you drive / race it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: June 20, 2022 09:12AM

John Reynolds is doing a very nice mid-engine swap on You Tube. You might want to give it a look. Reynolds Mid-Engine V-8 Corvair

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.