Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Oil bath air cleaner - Rare?
Posted by: PequotMonza64 ()
Date: June 10, 2022 10:54AM

My 64 has the center oil bath air cleaner which I believe was an option. When I googled "Corvair engine bay" only one photo showed up with my configuration of two paper filters and the center oil bath. I saw a few late model cars with the oil bath to the left and rear.

How rare is this center oil bath cleaner?

I notice Clark's does not sell a repro label like the one on my unit, or if so I don't see it.

Glen in Ohio
1964 Monza Sedan Powerglide 110 hp
Low mileage survivor as delivered
Records back to 1967 in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
Original dealer may have been in East Liverpool, Ohio
Located in Cleveland, Ohio area

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oil bath air cleaner - Rare?
Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: June 10, 2022 11:32AM

THey are not really that rare. I personally never saw the need for them and are a pain to keep serviced. I wouldn't have one on my car.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 10, 2022 11:56AM

1964 would not have the 2 individual paper filters unless it was A/C car. But I don't think you could get an oil bath air cleaner in 64 if it was an A/C car.
The oil bath cleaner keeps your paper elements cleaner for a longer time and also makes the engine quieter. 1964 was the first year for the single air filter and the oil bath "to the left and rear".

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 10, 2022 11:59AM

As staated, not that rare and not need on Paved road use. Many "gut" them and are there for the "look".

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: June 10, 2022 12:04PM

I had a 64 with a center oil bath and two paper.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: June 10, 2022 12:39PM

The center air cleaner started sometime in the '64 production year along with belt guides. So for an early '64 the center oil bath would be correct. As said not real rare but still an option and a lot of people don't put any oil in them and just use them to quiet the engine a little. I would leave it on since you have it. Your car probably doesn't have belt guides since it has the early style of air cleaners.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: June 10, 2022 12:47PM

I haven't noticed any belt guides.

I was thinking I might just not put oil in the oil bath but leave it in place. On the other hand, it was pretty gunky when I cleaner it out. I cleaned it thoroughly with solvent, but there appears to be some vegetable matter in the mesh where the air enters. Looks like steel mesh, not the fiber stuff.

Glen in Ohio

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: June 10, 2022 01:13PM

The only Oil Bath air cleaner part that might be considered "Rare" would be one for the Turbocharged cars. I have seen less of them than the other versions.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: June 10, 2022 02:11PM

What is truly rare is any Corvair that is still 100% original going on almost seventy years.

Gem is very very original but not 100% original and I'm not telling you what isn't original.

Attachments:
Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: June 10, 2022 03:46PM

The dent on the RF fender behind the bumper ??
GGG

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 10, 2022 03:58PM

Rare does not always equate to value. The turbo oil bath in good condition is worth A LOT. The oil bath air cleaner for a 65 with A/C is VERY rare but may not have much value. The FC oil bath air cleaners are rare and probably the second most valuable behind the turbos. The 140HP oil bath air cleaner is (probably) the least "sporty" looking. These are all my opinions. Others may have differing views.

Date: June 10, 2022 05:57PM

I know rarity does not necessarily equate to value. I used to have a number of Rover sedans and an English Ford 100E Squire DeLuxe. Now, I have a Corvair. I had an online club for Rover saloon cars and got contacted by people from all over, each thinking he had the only one left, and Rover sedans are much more rare than Corvairs. However, from the for sale ads I see, it seems as if half the people selling Corvairs think they have the last one left.

;-)

Glen in Ohio

Date: June 10, 2022 05:58PM

PequotMonza64 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I cleaned it thoroughly with solvent, but there appears to be some vegetable matter in the mesh where the air enters. Looks like steel mesh, not the fiber stuff.

I stand corrected. I do have the fiber stuff in my oil bath air cleaner.

Glen in Ohio

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 10, 2022 07:11PM

Bob
The dent on the RF fender behind the bumper ??
GGG

I was thinking the air in the tires!grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: June 10, 2022 10:14PM

Caraholic4life Wrote:
> The only Oil Bath air cleaner part that might be considered "Rare" would be one for the Turbocharged cars. I have seen less of them than the other versions.

I used to collect them, and they are still in the cellar. I think that the rarest was the oil bath air cleaner for the air-conditioned cars, and then the turbo oil bath air cleaner. That was the hardest one to find parts for. I had the oil bath part, but not the chrome part. I finally secured that after 4 or 5 years of searching. I believe that Clarks has one part number of oil bath air cleaner labels. I think that I reproduced the tag for the steering wheel, but I have no idea where they are today. I recently ran across the gas heater tags.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: June 10, 2022 10:18PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
> Rare does not always equate to value. The turbo oil bath in good condition is worth A LOT. The oil bath air cleaner for a 65 with A/C is VERY rare but may not have much value. The FC oil bath air cleaners are rare and probably the second most valuable behind the turbos. The 140HP oil bath air cleaner is (probably) the least "sporty" looking. These are all my opinions. Others may have differing views.

Got one of those also. Maybe this is the time to dig them out and sell them? smileys with beer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: June 11, 2022 06:24AM

junkman Wrote:
> I believe that Clarks has one part number of oil bath air cleaner labels.

You're right about my label, Junkman. In fact I received one in the mail yesterday that I had ordered from Clark's earlier. Interesting that it has "GM licensed" printed on the back of it.

Glen in Ohio

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: June 11, 2022 06:58AM

Bob...Gem's dents are original dents!! smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: June 11, 2022 11:53PM

I felt this thread needs at least one picture of an oil bath air cleaner. This one in a FC. smiling smiley

Attachments:
Date: June 12, 2022 06:44AM

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.