Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Alignment?
Posted by: 48kb1panel ()
Date: June 08, 2022 08:04AM

Is there a name or type of alignment I'm asking for on a Corvair? Looking for something in the Des Moines,Iowa area if anyone has a suggestion

Mike Worrell
Chariton,Iowa(South Central Iowa)
64'2Dr Monza Vert
65'2Dr Monza Vert
65'2Dr Monza Coupe
65'2Dr Corsa Coupe
66'2Dr Monza Coupe
I think I'm Hooked!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2022 07:04PM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Allinment?
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 08, 2022 09:55AM

4 wheel alignment, by someone who understands alignment, not just read the numbers on the screen. Also take the shop manual if they are unfamiliar with Corvairs (early or late).

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: June 08, 2022 10:22AM

EM rear suspension requires shims - Clark's has them. Not sure alignment shops have them?

Question is whether an alignment shop will want to align a Corvair. Then, there is the rusted bolts issue.

Hopefully someone here knows a shop in your area.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 08, 2022 07:37PM

Alignment shims common shop item.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: June 08, 2022 07:47PM

early model Corvairs can be adjusted by using large washers. Late models can be aligned similiar to C-2 to C-5 Corvetts. The process is in the shop manuals.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 09, 2022 05:30AM

I have a guy who doesn't mind if I "help". Most places these days won't let customers in the shop. It's nice to be able to help make risk vs. reward decisions, like loosening the rear trailing arm 3/8 bolts into the chassis for a toe-in change.
He hates working on old cars because things are so hard to get loose and turn.
Usually I'm going there with new parts installed. Last time was a 65 where someone else had installed new components. The brake reaction rods were all the way out on one side and all the way in on the other side. It was a struggle all the way to get the one side in but he got it done. When it got hard to turn he would hit the big nut with an air hammer which I thought was interesting. Usually I would have run a die over the threads ahead of time.

ICE Corvair club has good guys, they must know someone around DMS.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: aircooledairhead ()
Date: June 09, 2022 06:07AM

You probably will have a better chance of getting the alignment done if you have loosened and retightened all of the bolts that the shop will have to work with to do the alignment. Lots of soak time with PB Blaster, wire brushing rust off bolt threads, etc. will help ease the mind of the technician.

I know that if a car rolled in and everything looked rusted solid, I would be very wary of taking on the job. One broken part and the shop has a major problem.

I do know from experience that getting the alignment
at all 4 corners correct makes a huge difference in the way the car handles and the rate of tire wear at the edges.

It is more work, but replacing the rubber bushings especially in the rear suspension will also improve handling.

It can be a big effort but done properly it is well worth the time and expense.

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: June 09, 2022 06:25AM

I had a 4wheel alignment done at the local NTB ( National Tire & Battery Auto Center), maybe 2006? Anyway, I brought the manual, they let me drive the car onto the rack, and “help” the guy that did the work. They actually thanked me! All bolts, etc were new, so no problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2022 07:08PM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Posted by: Bill Miksich ()
Date: July 17, 2022 07:21PM

Merrill Axle in Des Moines

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.