Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Steering box
Posted by: 4speedoverdrive ()
Date: June 07, 2022 08:49AM

!. The shop manual says use chassis lube in the steering gear. Do you pump grease into the steering box?

2. Can you replace the lower seal without removing the steering box?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steering box
Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: June 07, 2022 09:00AM

Yes, and Yes.
Probably not, unless you have a specialized seal puller.

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Date: June 07, 2022 09:07AM

ok thanks

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 07, 2022 09:24AM

No, grease channels and the gear runs without lube. This is why so many gears are rusty inside.

See current discussion same topic:

[corvaircenter.com]

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: June 07, 2022 12:25PM

4speedoverdrive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> !. The shop manual says use chassis lube in the steering gear. Do you pump grease into the steering box?
>

You can.

Buy a pipe plug like the one in the box. Drill and tap the plug for a zirc fitting.

Carefully use a paper clip to "break" the seal on the steering shaft - to let air / pressure out.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: June 07, 2022 12:47PM

If it is leaking, it is time for a proper teardown, cleaning, reassembly new seals and with proper semi-fluid lubricant. If fluid is coming out, moisture may have gotton in. Lubricants to use are as described in Frank's link.

Instructions are in the FAQs. It is not a hard job, just cumbersom get the 65 steering box out since shft is solid from box to wheel.

From your previous posts, you have a 66 so a bit easier. But you have to deal with the firewall cage around the swivel behind tank area.

Instructions not coming up in the FAQs, so if you want a copy, send me a pm with an email address.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: June 07, 2022 09:08PM

The 65 box, and the 64, are the easiest ones to remove. Remove the steering wheel and jack up the front of the car - a bunch! After pulling the pitman arm at the cross shaft, three bolts and the assembly just slides out toward the front. The 66 is tougher, you have to find and remove the snap ring at the top,(just below the steering wheel,) but still easy. With the snap ring removed, the shaft slides out the bottom.

Date: June 07, 2022 10:04PM

Thanks for the replies, I have a telescoping steering wheel, previous comments on here indicate it is not easy to get apart/together.

Looking up the steering shaft, it looks like there is a coupling about halfway up the shaft, but to get at it I would have guessed you would need to pull the gas tank. Although the shop manual says drill an access hole in the splash shield. The picture in the shop manual is not all that clear, but i will need to pull the tire to get a better look.

In the meantime I would just like to replenish the fluid and maybe replace the seal. Clarks does not have any rebuild kits in stock.

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: June 08, 2022 05:52AM

Yes you can replace the bottom seal without pulling the box. You will need to remove the Pitman Arm. The problem is: The bigger bushing (that takes most of the load and wears) is pressed into the box beyond the seal. I can guarantee your bushing is shot as well. So changing the seal without the bushing will not yield you much as the continued slop will just destroy the new seal.

I have rebuilt a lot of Corvair boxes over the years. The NOS bushing came with some factory slop. I like using the Clark's bushings better. I have found that after I press in the new bushing, it will tend to 'crush' a little and will need to be honed. A wheel cylinder hone works great for this.

There is also a short bushing in the top cover to replace as well. I have never had to hone that bushing.

For lube, I use a really good wheel bearing grease cut with about 10-15% STP. It works like a champ.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 08, 2022 07:14AM

To play devils advocate I might say that although it's better to take care of it, getting some lube in there and having it drip a little isn't so bad. It's better than doing nothing.

Interesting comment above that a leaking seal is probably more about a loose pitman shaft bushing.

I like to use good synthetic red or blue grease for things like rear wheel bearings so I usually have some around to mix with STP. I'm not sure how I'd get it in there, maybe something dedicated or maybe my chain saw needle greaser and A LOT of pumps.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: June 08, 2022 09:00AM

I have only rebuilt 4 boxes and 3 were leakers. 2 needed no bushings, just seals for being 50 years old.

Date: June 08, 2022 12:40PM

Thanks for the info!

Date: June 08, 2022 05:56PM

So, is your 65 an early - (dual splined steel coupler) - or a late 65 (Stamped coupler, like a 66-69). Chevy changed in mid year. Earlier is easier to remove. Still a pain, but easier!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site: [www.perfvair.com]

Located in lovely San Jose, California

Date: June 08, 2022 07:24PM

the corvair is a 66. The coupler looks stamped to me.

Date: June 08, 2022 07:44PM

okay a 66 w/tele. (sorry for my confusion) Then you have the tougher job. Your choice is between pulling the large snap ring at the top of the coupler or removing the clamp at the bottom of the coupler and prying it open. Good luck

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site: [www.perfvair.com]

Located in lovely San Jose, California

Date: June 09, 2022 02:55AM

I removed the clamp to separate box shaft from steering column shaft. It was easier to get to. Ratchet wrenches are your friend in this task working through large hole in inner fender. Pull your left front tire wheel assy off. Lots ot lighting also.

Date: June 09, 2022 07:44AM

Thanks, I'm not sure what to do here.

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: June 09, 2022 08:02AM

You stated you have the manual. It clearly gives step by step procedures plus lists the REQUIRED special tools needed to complete the repairs.

Date: June 09, 2022 09:41AM

Exactly, I have a steering box that that appears to be working fine, but leaks oil or grease, my solution was ask about replacing the leaking seal and fill it with lubricant. In the process of this thread we have escalated to removing the box and rebuilding it.

edit: removed last sentence

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2022 10:40AM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Date: June 09, 2022 10:12AM

Sorry I should not have written the last sentence in the previous post, please disregard. I tried to delete but was too late.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.