Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Re: starter nose cone busted
Posted by: ncgriff1 ()
Date: June 09, 2022 02:30PM

I think mine was all new breakage. The fragment matched up to the rest of the nose cone and there were no missing chips, thank goodness. I was lucky it broke off in one piece, then lucky to get it out at all. It made a fine pendant for my wife on her birthday!

Like 63_967_spyder, I figured I'd be learning the fine art of dropping the engine. That would not have been all bad. Working on that car is a much needed escape sometimes, especially after giving my wife a pendant made of a broken car part.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Fortunate owner (i.e. steward) of Nickshu's restored 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible, my third and final EM.
Greenville, NC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2022 02:32PM by ncgriff1.

Attachments:
Posted by: 63_967_spyder ()
Date: June 10, 2022 09:15AM

thank you for the additional comments and suggestions.

several attempts with hooks, etc did not work. sticky stuff was next on my list. I'm out of town for a few days so will get back at it next week.

ncgriff1, your pictures and story look exactly like what I'm dealing with. the broken part looks identical to mine. gives me some hope that I can get it out.

per usual, I had enough time to break something, which happens real fast, but not time yet to fix it, which is the slow part.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 10, 2022 01:31PM

[www.amazon.com]

He is right about these things being STICKY. Order some on prime now, and they will be there when you get home. You may do a bunch of driving around @ $5 per gallon to find this product.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: June 10, 2022 01:55PM

63_967_spyder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...sticky stuff was next on my list.

PM me your address and I'll send you a sheet for free.

It will be plenty for you to go "fishing". We use it around here all the time to capture scorpions.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 10, 2022 01:59PM

Awesome move, Dave! thumbs up thumbs up
People, I have got to say, Dave W. is one of the best people we have around here!
Always doing his best to help others out.
All around Terrific guy. cool smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: June 13, 2022 08:40AM

Thank you for the offer to send me some of that stuff.
I ended up going to nearby Home Depot and picked two varieties.

So far, I've not been able to get it. Will keep trying

Date: June 21, 2022 02:42PM

Dern! Sorry to hear you have not gotten it out yet. Maybe it is too oily to stick well enough. My clutch rebuild was pretty recent, so not much oil anywhere inside there luckily. That probably helped.

Have you at least been able to feel it moving around down there, or get it to fall to the very bottom of the bellhousing? From there you should be able to press on it and get that goo to stick to it, The hose has to be fairly stiff to get a good push on it. I have an EZ Car Lift which helped a lot as far as getting into the right position.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Fortunate owner (i.e. steward) of Nickshu's restored 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible, my third and final EM.
Greenville, NC

Date: June 21, 2022 02:46PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I have not tried again since last week (long story).

Also it's well over 90F out there today.

Yes, I can see it with the borescope. It's at the bottom.

The green goo has stuck to just about everything in there except the piece... lol

Date: June 21, 2022 03:07PM

LOL. My "goo" was the yellow/tan insect variety, if that makes any difference. And my disaster struck in the colder months. Could the adhesive be getting too soft in the heat? Maybe try putting a fresh "sticky hose" contraption in the fridge for an hour before going after the part. Maybe the colder the firmer/stickier in this case. Not sure.

The pathway down there is plenty big. There are pictures in the shop manuals of what the bellhousing looks like inside. I avoided the temptation to drill a larger hole in the bottom of the bellhousing. I read somewhere on CC that that would mess with the integrity of the powertrain. Bad idea no doubt.

Just feeling your pain. LOL.

Greenville, NC

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: June 21, 2022 07:10PM

A friend of mine (long time auto tech) was in exactly your situation. He worked at getting the piece out off and on for days. Finally got it by rotating the engine backward slowly by hand to help carry the piece back up toward the hole and using mirrors and wire hooks.

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 1/4", 186 ci.140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Date: June 21, 2022 10:26PM

yes, I thought about rotating and see if I can catch an edge on a tooth there. I'll try it...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.