Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
1964 Air Conditioning Question
Posted by: rexbc ()
Date: May 31, 2022 11:34AM

Friends, I charged up the a/c on my '64 Monza and am delighted that it is cooling me down well in 90 degree weather! It looks like the drier has been replaced at some point, and I did replace the upper hoses, but they system is otherwise original.With that in mind, I do have a question. I am still trying to get my fast idle solenoid working and installed, and in the mean time I have been putting the car in N and giving it more gas at stops. In gear in such situations it continues to run, but there is a lot of vibration in the engine compartment and the baffle in the decklid rattles. Is this normal, acceptable? I cannot see any mounts broken, and I know the A-6 is a big draw.Maybe a working solenoid will correct this. I can certainly feel it when the compressor kicks in and out as I am driving. I am delighted with how it's performing, so I want to make sure I am not neglecting something. Thanks! Rex

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1964 Air Conditioning Question
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 31, 2022 11:43AM

I wonder if you have the right A-6 compressor? Not only does the Corvair version rotate CCW and have a mirror-image (reverse rotation) oil pump but it also has low compression pistons. You could be feeling vibration from higher compression.

If the indicated refrigerant on the compressor label is five pounds, it's likely a Corvair compressor. I've also heard the Corvair compressor label had green print, but that may or may not be true.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: May 31, 2022 12:13PM

Craig, thanks for this reply. It is the original compressor (or a factory replacement) with 5 pounds on the charge, but there is no green paint on it like I have read. Everything is smooth, except at idle, and maybe it's just idling down too low without the fast idle solenoid. Rex

Posted by: aircooled6 ()
Date: May 31, 2022 12:22PM

Perhaps bumping the idle up a skosh would help? The difference on a 67 110 was only about 250 rpm when the solenoid kicked on. Worth try until a permanent fix can be made. I know the early solenoids are "Hen's Teeth". I also recall reading somewhere over the years about use of a more modern anti-dieseling solenoid that can be "rigged" to do what needs to be done. Show Quality? No. Functionality? possibly. I can find my Corsa Tech Guides right now, but Ill bet that is where I saw this info.

Hope this helps a little!

edit - just glanced at google for anti-dieseling solenoid and there are many choices available, it would just take making a bracket and attaching something to the throttle cross shaft to make it work.

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX
(Now, South of 820!!)
64 Greenbrier 110 with 95 heads/PG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2022 12:25PM by aircooled6.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 31, 2022 01:03PM

Go back and reread your topic where Bill H. explains (IN 14 EZ STEPS!) how to rebuild/repair your 64 style solenoid. Or print it and turn the task over to someone that is willing to do it. Are you still using R12 refrigerant? We like pictures. Especially of A/C stuff!

Date: May 31, 2022 01:25PM

thanks guys! I appreciate the input and will go back an look at the solenoid post again. Rex

Posted by: whubbell ()
Date: June 16, 2022 07:34PM

cnicol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if you have the right A-6 compressor? Not only does the Corvair version rotate CCW and have a mirror-image (reverse rotation) oil pump but it also has low compression pistons. You could be feeling vibration from higher compression.
>
> If the indicated refrigerant on the compressor label is five pounds, it's likely a Corvair compressor. I've also heard the Corvair compressor label had green print, but that may or may not be true.

Only the 1961 A5 Corvair compressor was painted green. When they switched to the A6 compressor in 1962 they also switched to black paint. That said, it’s possible that a few of the early 1962 A6s were painted green (I’ve seen a photo of one), but most were black.

Bill Hubbell,
President, Stock Corvair Group

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.