Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
69 Front Crossmember - derusted/immersion ecoat - What next
Posted by: cfmann ()
Date: May 19, 2022 10:11AM

Hi all:
I recently had a nicer 69 front crossmember de-rusted and direct to immersion e-coat and baked that I had laying around along with some other parts. Photos attached show the results.
I was contemplating my next move, I think I want to spray a high build primer over this and sand down for a generally smoother appearance. I wasn't looking for perfection as this is more an educational and skill building exercise for me personally.
I was looking at SPI, Upol or Evercoat for high build primers. Prices range wildly, UPOL seems modest. TP tools.com sells a couple of off brands; Restoration Shop brand and Kirker brand for the sake of name dropping. I have no experiences with any of these brands, so I've become curious if anyone here has/does?
This may lead to some plastic filling over the primer or maybe plastic filling first over the e-coat then priming? I'm gathering I should primer first, fill if necessary than prime again and top coat as not to violate the e-coat.
I was even told by the Derusting service that one can powder coat over e-coat depending on product selection(s). I found that offering interesting.
I contend (maybe) there is more flexibility in the approaches I am speculating on right now.
Does anyone have experiences with spraying the listed products or has a strong opinion on way or another on product selection or direction to go?
I look forward to your responses!
Thanks
Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2022 10:16AM by cfmann.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 69 Front Crossmember - derusted/immersion ecoat - What next
Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: May 19, 2022 12:24PM

CFMANN: Either you have a strong attachment to that crossmember or a stronger penchant for work than I do. Last year, I bought a NOS '69 crossmember from Pete Koehler (caveman_1960) for less than you're probably looking at for materials. Don't believe he had any more new, but did mention he had others, trying to dispense parts from an estate. You might send him a PM, and ask what he has left. Good luck!

P.S. Pete's in Michigan, so freight would be a factor. I picked mine up at the Detroit area club's Homecoming, which is a great show, coming up in July.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: cfmann ()
Date: May 19, 2022 03:43PM

thanks for the reply Scott, I'll go with "stronger penchant for work than I do". lol
I know of Pete, probably even corresponded with him in years passed, about something or another.
this cross member came out of #1112 that I parted out a long time ago, so I have two of almost everything mechanically speaking for '69.
there really is no purpose to doing this other my attempt to have some fun.
that or I am just a gluten for punishment smiling smiley

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: May 19, 2022 04:46PM

I didn't see this brand in your list, no personal experience, but examples I've seen at car shows looked promising. Sorry I can't help with your decision.

[www.kbs-coatings.com]

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: May 19, 2022 10:08PM

May I recommend contacting California Corvairs for a rust free crossmember.
Also Dave Motorhead who posts here may have one. Could post here, looking for rust free crossmember. Us Southern Calif guys have the advantage of less to no rust on many parts.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 20, 2022 05:51AM

He's already de-rusted a good crossmember so I don't think he needs another one.

Your next step is something that will stay adhered to the coating. If the folks that did it can suggest certain kinds of powdercoat they must have a recommendation on primer.

I think an etching primer is for adhering to steel but I may be wrong.

I wonder about an epoxy primer.

It seems to me that with bare steel one process is etching primer to adhere to the steel, then epoxy primer to seal, then another primer that will cling to the epoxy primer. Of course you're not bare steel anymore.

Plastic filler would be a weak link in the system for longevity. If moisture ever gets in it will swell and let go taking everything above it away with it.

Rather than a smooth look I would try to change my thinking to welds and porosity have their own functional beauty.

Hopefully Ted or someone else will respond who knows a lot about finishing. It would break your heart to have all your efforts flake off in a few years.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Rcavictor ()
Date: May 20, 2022 04:55PM

There is quite a bit of info on the Southern Poly forum. Their company representative who is very active on the forum states that their epoxy primer can be applied over Ecoat when it has been sanded. [www.spiuserforum.com]

Might give them a call and ask. They have excellent products.
[www.southernpolyurethanes.com]

Rob
Ocklawaha FL

'66 Monza Coupe 4spd 140, Regal Red
‘64 Spyder Coupe, Maaco Rootbeer (orig Almond Fawn)
'64 Monza convertible 4spd 180 turbo, Daytona Blue
'62 Greenbrier 8-door, 'very patinaed' Crystal Turquoise Blue
‘62 Loadside, Glenwood Green
'62 Corvan95 Glenwood Green
‘61 Loadside, Cardinal Red

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: May 20, 2022 06:45PM

I see Hammertone powder coat in your future.... go ask the powder coater guy that prepped that part for you he might agree. It actually looks pretty cool.

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.