Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
XXZ engine
Posted by: JerryM ()
Date: May 18, 2022 06:41AM

I have an XXZ engine with 388708 AIR (95HP) heads. Would that have been originally sold in that configuration? What was the first year XXZ was offered?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: XXZ engine
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 18, 2022 07:51AM

I would guess that's a universal replacement crankcase. Does it have a boss to drill out for a FC dipstick tube?
Head numbers are 7 digits. A quick look at the Junkyard Primer didn't help me figure out which digit you're missing to say where you're getting 95 AIR head specification. 68-69 heads are usually the same for 95 and 110s, they got more compression with pop-up pistons. Earlier AIR are sort of a California thing and I'm not well versed on what they had.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: May 18, 2022 08:06AM

Universal Replacement Case Suffixes from Bob Helt's book and some were blank.

XXO = 60-61 95/98 HP Manual
XXR = 62-63 102 HP Manual
XXZ = 64-67 95/110 HP MT/PG
XXA = 65-67 140 w A.I.R
XAA = 65-67 140 non-smog

Date: May 18, 2022 08:19AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would guess that's a universal replacement crankcase. Does it have a boss to drill out for a FC dipstick tube?
> Head numbers are 7 digits. A quick look at the Junkyard Primer didn't help me figure out which digit you're missing to say where you're getting 95 AIR head specification. 68-69 heads are usually the same for 95 and 110s, they got more compression with pop-up pistons. Earlier AIR are sort of a California thing and I'm not well versed on what they had.

Typo on the head numbers, should be 3880708.
Yes it does have an FC dipstick boss and a draft tube boss as well.
It's my understanding XXZ should have been a base "crate" engine for '64 -'67 (why not '68 & '69?)
Didn't the universal crankcase sold as a part have no stamping?

Edit: Thanks Phil, you posted while I was getting a reply.

The "Claifornia thing"... if the XXZ were a complete engine sold in California, would it have been configured for AIR compatibility?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2022 08:26AM by JerryM.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 18, 2022 08:20AM

66 California 2 carb. engines (110 HP) with A I R used pop up pistons. Not sure about 95s or 140s.

Posted by: aircooledairhead ()
Date: May 18, 2022 09:01AM

Just curious as to the difference between an XXA case and an XAA case. My son’s Monza 140 has an XXA case, but no sign of emissions stuff. Pistons are flat top, not domed. Car is a 65.

Date: May 18, 2022 09:42AM

aircooledairhead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just curious as to the difference between an XXA case and an XAA case. My son’s Monza 140 has an XXA case, but no sign of emissions stuff. Pistons are flat top, not domed. Car is a 65.

Should be nothing regarding the case. The heads would have stainless exhaust tubes.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 18, 2022 08:27PM

3880708 is listed in the Corvair Primer as 66-67 so my guess is they are not the open chamber smog head from 68-69. I would check the more extensive list in the CORSA Tech Guide but it's out in the garage.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.