Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Condensor/Capacitor on Coil?
Posted by: PequotMonza64 ()
Date: May 16, 2022 05:10PM

My car has very few updates from when it left the factory in 1964.

It does have a Pertronix system in place of the points.

I notice that there's a condensor or capacitor in the usual metal can attached to the side of the ignition coil. I seem to remember that this was sometimes done on old cars to help eliminate radio interference. Is that what this thing is?

My original AM radio works fine and sounds good, but when the engine id running there's very loud ignition interference.

Glen in Ohio
1964 Monza Sedan Powerglide 110 hp
Low mileage survivor as delivered
Records back to 1967 in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
Original dealer may have been in East Liverpool, Ohio
Located in Cleveland, Ohio area

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Condensor/Capacitor on Coil?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 16, 2022 05:30PM

That's what it's for

Generator should have one too.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 16, 2022 06:02PM

And there are also static collectors behind the front bearing spindle caps. Also one on the regulator and the generator/alternator. There are also copper straps on the engine to ground it to the body. If you check the factory assembly manual you will see all the extra parts that were added when the car was ordered with a factory-installed radio.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: PequotMonza64 ()
Date: May 16, 2022 07:18PM

I searched out and ordered three condensors. There's one on the coild, one on the generator. I didn't see one on the regulator but I ordered one after reading an post in a Studebaker forum. They also mentioned adjusting the antenna trimmer.

I have three of the copper straps going from the top engine cover to the body. They need to be cleaned up. Should there be four? A fourth one by the battery would seem to be redundant since the big ground strap is there.

Glen in Ohio
1964 Monza Sedan Powerglide 110 hp
Low mileage survivor as delivered
Records back to 1967 in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
Original dealer may have been in East Liverpool, Ohio
Located in Cleveland, Ohio area

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 16, 2022 08:26PM

Yes, just three on most earlies. As you say, one by the battery would be redundant.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 17, 2022 02:15AM

The one on the coil has a longer wire than the others.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 17, 2022 04:53AM

So what were those three condensers? Links?

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 17, 2022 08:10AM

I don't believe there were "static collectors behind the front bearing spindle caps" on early model Corvairs.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 19, 2022 09:06AM

from the 1964 accessory manual.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Attachments:
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 19, 2022 09:15AM

Thank you Paul. I stand corrected and now I AM A BELIEVER. But now why have I not seen this on an early model? I have seen it on many lates but never on an early. Were mechanics prone to do "lousy" work (and leave them off)?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.