Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
What Radio Knobs Am I Missing?
Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: May 16, 2022 12:59AM

It's been almost 4 years and two moves since I took my radio out. Knobs are long gone and I can't for the life of me remember what goes where. Ordered the set of '68 knobs from Clark's but all it came with are the two "mushrooms". I'm missing other stuff and I need help figuring out what that stuff is and where to get it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What Radio Knobs Am I Missing?
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: May 16, 2022 01:10AM

You are missing the two "knobs" / ??? that go under your new knobs,

[californiacorvairparts.com]

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 16, 2022 02:47AM

Depends on year of car what style knobs are used. Looks like you are installing 68-69 style. I have a complete set 4 pieces that can be made available to you from my Camaro.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 16, 2022 05:37AM

From Clark's you also needed
CU2496
CU2497
Now it would be cheaper to go with either of the other two posted answers.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 16, 2022 05:45AM

For the left side of the radio, you have the base treble knob that goes behind the volume knob. On the right side is either a knob that does nothing or a knob that changes speaker output location from front to back. It is known as a fader knob. On the right-hand side, there is a stamped retainer that has a cut-out in it for the fader control wire. On the backside of the dash is a special wire harness that connects the speakers together. 1965-1969 parts will interchange, except for the basic look of the knobs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 16, 2022 06:42AM

I think I have some, though they might look less than concours.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 16, 2022 12:38PM

And.....

Don't forget the washers that are on the shaft between the little knob and the big knob.

They were lost the first time the radio knobs were removed 40 years ago! Their purpose is to keep the volume knob from turning the tone control, etc.

One Corvairs the fader knobs I have seen are integral with the rheostat control. And they have the washer between them and the tuning knob.

The knobs shown in the picture are 67 to 69 model.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 16, 2022 01:01PM

Frank, you forgot to mention the black paper insulator washer that went on the fader switch to keep the wires from shorting out. The small copper spring washers were to keep the inner knobs from rattling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.