Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Part Wanted 180 Turbine and Shaft
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 15, 2022 06:54AM

I'm trying to piece together a 180 turbo. I've got 2 turbine and shaft assemblies, one has eroded blades and the other has buggered up left hand threads.
I thought I'd try asking on a new thread. I'd like to think this part is somewhat easy to come by with the 64 exhaust/65 intake conversion being so popular these days.
I've received 2 replies. One is a little pricey and I'm concerned with wear marks on the shaft of the other. They might be okay but I'd like to see what else might be available.
I've already gotten a used turbo that didn't really yield anything I didn't already have, although a not-cracked exhaust housing and good intake housing are nice to have around.
I've got one bearing that might be okay but I'd like to pass final judgement with a "forever" shaft in place.
I sort of gave up rebuilding turbos because I was unhappy with replacement bearings but here I go again. I do have fixtures and such so I suppose I shouldn't be shy...

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Part Wanted 180 Turbine and Shaft
Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: May 16, 2022 05:19AM

PM sent

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs
1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1928 Ford Model A 2 door sedan
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: May 16, 2022 05:22AM

Did you find what you need ?

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Date: May 16, 2022 10:12AM

Not yet. Bob Bauer is going to look now that I sent him measurements on EM vs. LM.
I found one where the wheel looks good but it's showing a little wear on the shaft which I don't think I can afford with the bearing I have.
I found another one but I'm balking at the price. I'm hoping he's not offended by my shopping around a bit more. I really thought one would be easy to come by with folks doing the 150 exhaust/180 impeller thing.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: May 16, 2022 10:29AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I really thought one would be easy to come by with folks doing the 150 exhaust/180 impeller thing.

Neither Clark's nor Calif Corvair Parts lists a used one.

Given the issue with wear on the shaft, anybody with a turbo and a good shaft probably wants to keep it rather than sell it.

Date: May 16, 2022 01:02PM

I've ordered a 5/16-24 LH die to try and repair the shaft I already have. I'm sorry if I put people out looking through their stuff. I might still need one if rethreading doesn't work out. It's just the first few threads that are bad so I think it will still be sound.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: May 16, 2022 07:41PM

I'll take one if anyone has an extra.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.