Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Clear vinyl wraps for a LM Corvair
Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: May 14, 2022 10:09AM

Continuing with my ongoing paranoia, I would like to protect the paint job on my Corsa convertible. Mostly the front from normal road particals and the quarter panels where the tires kick up small stones that can chip paint. Does anyone have any experience with that sort of thing? Is there any application that can be put on temporarily for driving, and then removed for shows?

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Very near concours perfect.

[corvaircenter.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clear vinyl wraps for a LM Corvair
Posted by: jbyenko77 ()
Date: May 14, 2022 11:57AM

I just went through this on two cars

No thought of removable ones, but I think that the film is applied and shrunk where necessary, so I dont think it could be reapplied

I took off front bumper, turn signal housings, headlight grills and had the entire front done

Also did lower sections behind front and rear wheels

For the hood and upper front quarters,

The first car I did up to where the curve of the hood flattened
But that leaves a visible edge of the wrap
So on the next one I went to the Fresh air grill

Had it done at a place that does wraps

Not cheap, but the paint was really expensive

Jeff ballard
Camarillo ca

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: May 14, 2022 01:47PM

I had 3M chip guard applied to the front and below the lower break from front to back. It's worked. Being below the break line, it's quite invisible. But I don't show my cars anymore.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 14, 2022 04:33PM

Depends on how long you will keep the car and how much UV you have. I have seen it on the front of high end motor homes. Eventually it will look like crap and is a nightmare to get off. I had a small section as a kick guard above the entry steps. It started to look like crap and took hours to remove.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: May 15, 2022 06:04PM

I purchased and installed 3M clear paint protection film on front body panel and rear quarter panels behind rear tires on our Corsa and family vehicles. That was 2015 and it staid in place without lifting. I got bulk material on EBay as a remnant and paid very little and cut to fit. It applies with water and a drip of liquid soap and then squeegee out the water and any air bubbles. There are some thinner less protective paint films so get a good quality product. Is sticks well but is best removed with heat, but not open flame. There are some films that go on dry so be sure of your application.

I would NOT apply it over non cured paint until paint cures. Without heat to remove you might damage your paintwork. I also pulled at a flat angle rather than at 90 degree right angle to surface as it was said to put less pressure on painted surface. The thicker mil protection film does not adjust to multiple contours though. I used it on our Tiguan and Terrain on hood and Terrain came with clear paint protection as door edge guards from dealer in 2016.

The original film technology, I believe, was designed for use on airplane surfaces and high speed boat applications.

Jimc
1965 Corsa

Jimc
1965 Corsa Coupe, two owner history

HACOA Member
CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: May 15, 2022 07:06PM

jimc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The original film technology, I believe, was designed for use on airplane surfaces and high speed boat applications.

Using stretchy, self-adhesive urethane film for surface protection began in the Vietnam War era. It was used to prevent damage to the leading edges of helicopter blades during landings and takeoffs. My friend used to bring me scraps from the factory.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.