Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Turn Signal Switch 66, Issue?
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 13, 2022 09:41PM

Has anyone else had an issue installing a new late 65/66 turn signal switch where the groove in the steering shaft for the snap ring is not visible at all even when pulling up with a wrench (Steve Goodman method) under the shaft nut as hard as possible?

I have one a previous owner could not get the snap ring in, they left the snap ring below the bearing just to get the wheel on and not loose the ring.

I see the issue. Measuring depths, the bearing would have to go another 1/8" into the switch to make the groove visible at the top of the bearing. I have disassembled all the upper column parts, and all the GM supplied parts (back in 66 that is) seem to fit fine when reassembled. Just the new turn signal switch and bearing not so much.

So, grind into the switch i.d. to make the bearing sit lower? Or will I now have the steering wheel touching the cup? I thought of making the switch sit closer on the column, but the turn signal stalk fits in the cup hole just fine.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turn Signal Switch 66, Issue?
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 14, 2022 04:43AM

Another case of Chinese parts that almost fit so you have to spend an hour modifying them?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 14, 2022 05:30AM

On 66 columns, you can adjust the spring and clamp at mid joint to give you a little motors,added column shaft length.

Is the new and old switch thicknesses the same or is the new unit thicker?

Date: May 14, 2022 06:38AM

I have not looked for an old switch yet. I need to do that. I bought the car with only the new switch installed wrong.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: May 15, 2022 06:18PM

I found an old turn signal switch still in an early 65 column. I took it out and measured all the dimensions. The new switch matches within what I would say is normal tolerance. Certainly not the 1/8" or so of error I see in the car.

The column on late 65/66 is welded to its base, so no adjusting there, as there is on an early 65 with the long shaft into the steering box.

So, then the issue is with the shaft. Somehow it slipped down while the previous owner was working on it? With all my strength and levering the wrench against my knee, it does not come up enough. Al mentions adjusting the shaft height. I guess that's where I will be working the next time I get a chance. sad smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: May 16, 2022 02:56AM

It will be a pain. You have to acces the clamp and spring pieces. Loosen it just enough to aloow some one to pull shft up, then you tighten the clamp. On 66 clamp is under the big steel cage GM installed to deflect shaft when in a frontal accident.

On my More Door, I have too much length after taking it apart to install the collapsible intermediate shaft mod. I have it where I can pull it up about 1/8" more, and you can feel the movement when tugging wheel up. Pain to go back in to reduce that distance. I thought about putting a washer in there to take extra play out.

There should always be a little movement as the spring is there.

Date: May 20, 2022 07:01PM

Al, you were right! Never saw that clamp in any drawings like this one from GM.

But once the column was slid up the shaft, there it was. A bottom steering column stop.

And measuring from the stop to the snap ring location gave me 24 1/4".

I could loosen the clamp with a 1/4 drive small ratchet and a short 7/16 socket. Driving the clamp down is how I changed the length, as pulling on the shaft did not work. Using a long but small angle iron piece (actually a piece of an old bed frame. I save all those frames as they come in handy) I drove the clamp back [I am totally assuming the clamp was attached to the short lower shaft, as I did not see any splines between the steering joint and the clamp] and got 24.5" from clamp to snap ring groove. Oops, too far I thought. So I pried the clamp back up to 24 3/8" [held clamp, tapped on steering shaft with the nut on it]. Assembled everything back to the turn signal switch. Good news, I could now see the groove just appear when I pulled up hard on the shaft. Just took a few minutes to take it all apart and then tap the clap back to 24.5". Reassembled, and success!smileys with beer

Now to install speaker, radio, defrost duct, install relays for High Speed fan circuit, instrument cluster, controls and then the steering wheel can go on!eye popping smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Attachments:

Date: May 20, 2022 07:26PM

F4om Clark's used catalog. Upper clamp (shown in lower right)sets length of column through column last. Second clamp (shown in upper left) connects steering shaft to gearbox shaft.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2022 07:28PM by Lane66m.

Attachments:
Date: May 20, 2022 08:40PM

That's the one, #20.

Now the big question is what did the PO do to make adjusting #20 necessary in just changing the turn signal switch? I've never had the issue before in the last 40+ years.confused smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: May 21, 2022 05:22AM

Loosened clamp up and did not get it exactly back where it was originally. BTDT

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 21, 2022 06:56AM

Al, You Were RIGHT!

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Date: May 21, 2022 10:19AM

A rarity, but I will take credit on this easy one.

Date: May 21, 2022 07:04PM

I guuaarraannty* the previous owner did not loosen that clamp!cool smiley

And the previous owner did remove the snap ring to get the old turn signal switch out. He was surprised he could not get the snap ring back in after changing the switch.

*spoken in Justin Wilson speak

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: May 22, 2022 06:48AM

Frank:

As most members know on the 66 coulmn, you have to have a lift bar on the shaft and the shaft nut installed to get enough leverage to get shaft lifted enough to install the snap ring.

Obnly 2 things could have happen to where the snap ring could not be installed.

1. The clamp was moved up enough to prevent anyone, who put enough pull force against the lower spring, to install the snap ring in the steering shaft groove.

2. The person pulling up on the steering shaft did not have a pulling device and the shaft nut wasn't on to get the shaft pulled up into position where the snap ring could be put into its groove. It does take some force to compress that lower spring when set properly.

If the clamp is too low, the shaft is easy to pull up to install the snap ring. BUT there is vertical play in the steering shaft you will feel, if you lift up and down on the steering wheel.

Date: May 22, 2022 07:58AM

Al, you are talking to a person with 40 + years experience of working on Corvairs. The previous owner used a 15” long piece of Unistrut as the lever. He and his brother could not lever the shaft high enough to install the snap ring. I had several conversations with him about this at the time. I bought the car a year or so later and thought I’ll put that snap ring on just like I have over the last 40 years. Nope!eye popping smiley Hence the purpose of this thread. It just makes no sense.

I would also like to point out that over the last 40 years I have never had to take the column out and relocate the clamp/change shaft length during a turn signal switch change.

I’m thinking rust. The car is from Texas, but still has rust in odd places. The clamp and spring were very rusty. Maybe a rust chunk prevented enough movement. Sure seemed like a lot of shaft movement when I laid into that strut. Yes, the Unistrut was still in the car.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2022 08:04AM by Frank DuVal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.