Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Opinions on this repair...
Posted by: AlecCarlson ()
Date: May 13, 2022 10:33AM

I have had constant problems with oil leaking out the turbo oil drain connector. I have tried replacing the compression fitting multiple times with no luck. The problem is that a previous owner seems to have torqued the nut down with enough pressure to force the compression sleeve into the pipe creating a slight valley in the wall of the pipe. I believe that is preventing the compression sleeve from completely sealing around the pipe - so it leaks.

I decided to try something different. I cut 2 good inches off the turbo drain pipe and bought 1 foot of 5/8" ID fuel hose. I replaced the stock pipe with the fuel hose. See picture. I figure the oil wont hurt the hose since it's made for high octane gas and diesel. Oil temps may or may not be a problem. It doesn't leak - that's a good thing. What's your opinion ?

Alec
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Corsa Convertible Turbo 4-Speed
Restoration "In Progress"

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opinions on this repair...
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: May 13, 2022 11:11AM

Redneck Repairs are the best...drive the wheels off it!!! thumbs up

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 13, 2022 11:28AM

Cunifer tubing may have worked?

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: May 13, 2022 11:56AM

I bet it will be fine.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
62' Wagon rebuild MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: aircooled6 ()
Date: May 13, 2022 12:39PM

If that hose softens and leaks, go to automatic transmission cooler hose. It is intended to have hot, pressurized oil flowing through it. (I know there is virtually zero pressure here) The fuel line will likely last for quite some time, though.

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX
(Now, South of 820!!)
64 Greenbrier 110 with 95 heads/PG

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 13, 2022 02:32PM

That's a fix I'm going to remember. smiling smiley

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: May 13, 2022 02:33PM

I have found that even hydraulic line isnt really up to the oil temps that can be reached for the turbo drain line. For a short term solution, what you have going should work okay for awhile. I used braided stainless teflon lined hose, and made a hose barb end that pressed into the stock turbo drain tube. Then used 2 hose clamps, one on the drain tube itself, the other bearing down on the hose barb end. To get best even clamping force, I used short sections of hydraulic line as sleeves that are placed over the hose barb and drain tube. The hose clamps are tightened down on the hydraulic hose. Although this set-up has not leaked, the hydraulic line "sleeves" have gotten really hard and have lost most of their orignal flexibility.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car
Test Start#2 [www.youtube.com]

Attachments:
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 13, 2022 03:42PM

The are right angled PEX brass connectors that are just the right size if you want to make a 90 degree turn. I read somewhere a long time ago that the reason for the horizontal run was to help de-foam the oil coming out of the turbo. True or not, don't know.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: May 13, 2022 04:05PM

I have discovered that the 5/8" compression collars that you can get at the local hardware store are a smaller cross section than the original turbo drain part. Not sure where to get the larger original style, but mine leaked until I discovered that and replaced the steel tube with another one I had in my stash (with a good original compression collar).

And yes the tube also can be compressed due to overtightening. Perhaps a pipe expander would work on that?

I don't like to use hose where GM thought a steel pipe was needed.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.