Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
WTB: LM remote control mirror
Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: May 13, 2022 06:53AM

...or parts. Late 65 early 66 remote control mirror, especially the stalk with the bow tie on it. Mine is good but not Quite right. Would also like the mirror housing itself. It's about the last thing I might get dinged on in a concours, and getting it right would put my mind at ease. For a good one, even if it needed to be rechromed, I'd be willing to part with cash and my current one.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Finished it in 9/21.

[corvaircenter.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTB: LM remote control mirror
Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: May 13, 2022 05:17PM

Hi Don, I don't know how complete yours is, but If you can PM me a price, I could be interested in it. Thanks. Doug Ward

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Date: May 14, 2022 09:17AM

Mine is complete, but unless I can replace it with something better, I'll just hold on to it.

Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Finished it in 9/21.

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: May 14, 2022 09:21AM

I could take another tack on this. The event I am working towards is the Forest Grove Concours in July. The car is entered in a pretty tough class -- GM cars 1960-1972.
If someone were willing to rent me the use of a good one for that week, I'd be happy to pay a reasonable cost just to present the car in its best light. I'd take off the current mirror assembly, put a better one on for the show, then take it off and return it to the owner.
It's really just that I want to do this correctly for this one last concours event. After that, it won't really matter that much.
Is that possible?
I can provide references -- Duane Wentland and Rex Johnson -- who will assure anyone that I am an honorable person, and will live up to my word.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: May 15, 2022 11:03AM

Don,
Please post a picture of the part of your mirror you're unhappy about, and I'll see if I can improve your situation.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Date: May 15, 2022 02:16PM

The bow tie is there but has been filled in with a bad chroming job. It should be clear and sharply defined. This is the vertical post between the door and the round mirror. I have an inquiry into a rechroming shop, but don't know if the excess plating could be removed and redone. You can see that it's correct, but it's just not right. There is another issue around the circumference of the mirror itself. I suspect the same rechromer did a poor job of that too, because the surface is somewhat "pebbly" and rough when it should be smooth. But of the two, the post is more important.

[corvaircenter.com]

Attachments:
Date: May 15, 2022 02:19PM

This closeup shows the mirror circumference.

[corvaircenter.com]

Attachments:
Date: May 15, 2022 02:22PM

This is a photo of an original stalk bowtie, though unchromed. I am assured that it is possible to rechrome this without filling in the bowtie as much as the one I have.

[corvaircenter.com]

Attachments:
Posted by: corvairsince70 ()
Date: May 15, 2022 02:26PM

PM sent

Dennis
Nashville area

Date: May 16, 2022 12:06PM

I am now advised that the assembly I own cannot be fixed properly. So am still looking for the proper post with the bow tie. I don't really need the entire assembly, if that's not serviceable. Still looking and hoping.

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: May 16, 2022 12:07PM

I tried to reply to the PM, but don't see it in the messages sent file. Did you happen to get the reply?

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: May 17, 2022 07:28PM

Don,
I finally unearthed my parts. Let me know if you've resolved your situation, or if you still need help. Also, what is the date of your show? This is the kind of work my plater does.

Scott
Danville, In.
'66 Monza coupe

Attachments:

Date: May 18, 2022 11:12AM

Not resolved so far. That's nice plating work. I do have a later one in excellent shape, but it's not the correct assembly. It doesn't have the bowtie on the post.

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: May 19, 2022 12:01PM

OK, Don, here's what I've done. Found out this morning you'd contacted the shop I use, trying to find a reliable plater. Would be funny if it weren't so sad. They make deliveries to Indianapolis, so I connected with them when they stopped for lunch, and handed over the two pieces you needed. You didn't answer my question about the date of your concours, thought in one of your posts you mentioned early July, so I asked they be ready by the end of June. Didn't get an estimate, left a $100 deposit, was told the rush job could be accomplished with a 30-40% penalty. Don't know who you talked with, I told Jake you would probably be sending your parts (needed to assemble a complete mirror) to them as well. Told him when the parts are finished to ship them directly to you. You will need to contact them to furnish information. chromeplater1@yahoo.com 765 478 9990 The mirror in my previous photo was done in 2014, cost was $140; don't imagine you'll get off as easily this time.

My requests for you are to install a new plastic pivot, epoxy the pins, then bury the legs in JB Weld. Hoping that will be sufficient to retain the head.

[www.ebay.com]

I would appreciate reimbursement of half my funds, and have my parts returned no later than the middle of July.
Scott McVicker

Scott
Danville, In.
'66 Monza coupe

Attachments:

Date: May 20, 2022 08:18PM

I got an email from the plater but this information is more useful. I'll follow up on it asap.

[corvaircenter.com]

Date: May 20, 2022 08:48PM

PM sent

[corvaircenter.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.